Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kkolivers
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, center was horizontal; didn't consider the crossover topology though.

• davidroberts
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    I have had 3 MTM center channel speakers and one WMTW, the D'Appolito designed Audax HT system from years ago. All sounded fine to me.

Here's a design Lunchmoney did with help from Zaph for a center channel unit to go with his SR71.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...ight=blackbird
    The Audax HT design was actually a very nice design. Too bad the drivers aren't still available. I built a set for my little brother and he is still using them.

The Am
    ​​​​WMTM with the original RS driver that Dennis Murphy designed for me is still my favorite by far.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    commented on 's reply
    Those polar patterns you see posted for MTMs only look like that close to the speaker. At normal listening distances they don't, due to wavefront integration.

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    The OP was very happy with his MT vs his MTM. I linked the MT by Lunchmoney as one solution, a sideways MT for space considerations. OTOH, I've been happy with my Zaph BAMTM, my DIYSG/Carmody S2000 MTM, and now my cjd RS150 MTM. I sit in the middle.

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    I just see an MT there. I remember MTM horizontal centers here, but they did have 3rd order quadrature crossovers.

• djg
    replied
    I have had 3 MTM center channel speakers and one WMTW, the D'Appolito designed Audax HT system from years ago. All sounded fine to me.

Here's a design Lunchmoney did with help from Zaph for a center channel unit to go with his SR71.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...ight=blackbird

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting he said that. The polar pattern you get with his 3rd order Butterworth crossover has a very wide (tall?) beamwidth.

• billfitzmaurice
    commented on 's reply
    The crossover has little to do with it. At least that's what Joe told me.

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    I know you're joking, but the big problem is the extra woofer. That really narrows the beamwidth unless you use a scheme like the original D'Appolito crossover.

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Put a fake or dead tweeter opposite the real/active one and call it symmetrical looking sound.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    Alright, that makes sense. But if they want anything like a useful speaker I'd think they wouldn't use an in-phase crossover. Unless the manufacturer is just as ignorant..

• billfitzmaurice
    commented on 's reply
    They're popular because they fit under a TV, and because an MTM looks better than an MT, while the average consumer hasn't the slightest idea what comb filtering and horizontal dispersion are.

• fpitas
    replied
    Was this an MTM on its side (horizontal)? They're known to not be optimum, especially with in-phase crossovers like LR. You might do better with D'Appolito's original 3rd order BW quadrature crossover, if you just have to use an MTM on its side.

A horizontal MTM seems to be oddly popular for center channels, but it's not a good idea unless the right crossover is used.
    Last edited by fpitas; 10-12-2021, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kkolivers
    started a topic MT center channel revelation

MT center channel revelation

Just a statement of revelation: I finally switched from an MTM center channel to an MT. The original had a 2nd order LR XO @ 3kHz to match the other fronts. I always thought it never quite sounded as good as the other fronts, sound quality and timbre wise. So, I considered going to a three way {W(mt)W} horizontal center. But, before making the change I decided to try an MT center and "WOW!" what a difference. The blending of the fronts became coherent as a complete sound stage and even the surround channels seemed to contribute more to the overall sonic effect. The speakers seemed to disappear as I became enveloped in sound. From a cost and practicality standpoint, I can't see why anyone would opt for any other arrangement. I would use two small TV stands with the TV straddling, if not on the wall, to leave room for a vertical center channel. This is going to be my go to option for future HT speaker builds.
Working...
X