Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver ID, I’m really hoping someone recognizes these AMT drivers, I need one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver ID, I’m really hoping someone recognizes these AMT drivers, I need one!

I picked these up sometime back with the deal being that after the seller had some time to adjust to his new place (moved to different state) that he would make the package whole. I bought two horn/waveguide AMT drivers, though one is missing the driver. The plan was that I would at a later date get a new AMT driver and also a new diaphragm for the second motor so that both would technically be new. Of course that plan isn’t panning out, so I figured I’d try to figure out what these are on my own, meaning without the seller’s assistance. Luckily I only paid $100 which I figured was decent for just the waveguides.

I’m really hoping someone knows what they are, I’d love to get a second one and put them to use. Not entirely sure how yet, but thinking paired to a 10” midbass and 18” woofer for a potent 3 way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B2F7EFE4-401A-4C83-B795-A9D6F4C8271C.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	1477584

Name:	5B4F1EC5-0802-47B1-8773-9B9E9AA3EA24.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	652.2 KB
ID:	1477585

Name:	C4A11F2E-F2C4-4BDB-B472-62540BDAC6DA.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	1477586

Thank you,
    Dan
    Attached Files

PaulW did some things like that. He is (was) probably here, and at htguide and avsforum. He had a huge project called the Octagon.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
      PaulW did some things like that. He is (was) probably here, and at htguide and avsforum. He had a huge project called the Octagon.
      Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that. Craig K. gave me a call and shed some light on it for me. Looks like these are Heil diaphragms. I took them apart further and it appears these are Heil 689-1107 diaphragms taped to a piece of milled aluminum. That is then slid into a magnet sandwich. Two pieces of mild steel plate that have had slots cut into them with 1/4” neo magnets in between. Four 1-1/4” x 3” neo slugs to be exact.

So, I could buy 2 of the diaphragms for $79 each, then I’d need the one piece of aluminum milled up, and the same for the two pieces of steel. Then purchase the 4 neo magnets and glue it all together.

That, or find a pair of pre built AMTs (or ribbons maybe) that would fit with a throat opening of 4-7/8” tall and 1-7/8” wide.

Vote on it?

Name:	1F95B84A-04F7-4E1C-9F86-5AD1F1D92B50.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	555.6 KB
ID:	1477592

Name:	EF8833DA-B833-4D03-BE1D-BC3AD926DB54.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	1477593

Name:	4F32F677-B2B2-4601-A38A-B434F34DA13D.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	1477595

Name:	8C6DC023-B0FA-44AD-ABD6-E36AA18230E4.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1477594

Dan

Comment

Airborne 5002 AMT fits the width pretty good, and length may work. PM me if you can't find them.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Even if that was not PaulW's work I would search his posts out. He measured both (original?) Heil diaphragms and Aurum Cantus diaphragms. AC makes a big one about the same dimensions. His measurements align with my own: modern Heils are really poor for distortion, while the AC's are really good.
          ~Brandon 8O
          Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
          Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
          DriverVault
          Soma Sonus

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
            Airborne 5002 AMT fits the width pretty good, and length may work. PM me if you can't find them.
            Yeah those do certainly look pretty close. PM sent

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
              Even if that was not PaulW's work I would search his posts out. He measured both (original?) Heil diaphragms and Aurum Cantus diaphragms. AC makes a big one about the same dimensions. His measurements align with my own: modern Heils are really poor for distortion, while the AC's are really good.
              I definitely will. It’s funny you say that, I recently restored a pair of ESS AMT-1s that have the big Heil on top and I was wondering about replacing the diaphragms in there with the current replacements and I was told by several NO WAY! That the originals were superior. I’ll have to check out the Aurum Cantus. I’ve been wondering about just snagging the Heils off of the top of the AMTs I have and using them with the 10/18 combo.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X