Craft Box Speaker - extreme budget build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Box Speaker - extreme budget build

My daughter wanted a set of small speakers for her room. Instead of buying something at the store, I told her I could make her something in whatever color she wanted. She chose Teal.

I happened to stop by Michaels looking for some paint to make a teal stain out of and I stumbled across some wooden craft boxes for $5. A bit flimsy, but pretty easy to reinforce inside and would be perfectly suitable for this build (was going to use some B3N's I had left over in a sealed configuration).

All told, I have $12 in materials, not counting my hardware and speakers that I already had lying around. I'm powering them with a small class D amp. Thought that I might have to make some kind of notch filter, but after cutting the treble and boosting the bass on the little amp, the sound is rather (shockingly) good.

I ended up leaving the gold hardware on it since it matched the HiVi (non-functional though since the lid is glued shut). I stained the front a golden oak and mixed up an Acrylic stain with 2/3 paint and 1/3 water and stained the rest in a teal. Then a few coats of spray-on poly and I was done.

My wife says I should sell these at the local craft fair in various colors, but they'd probably need to be powered/bluetooth and that up the costs considerably. Anyways, wanted to share as I've seen some neat speaker projects on here made out of unlikely sources.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tealb3n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	1477981

Great work! That ought to spoil her for a while.

And if she runs out of clean headroom, tell her you can fix that if she helps you build a little sub.....

Comment

Very nice.

zaph has a design with the same driver on his site i believe, filter already laid out for you if you plan to go that route!

Comment

Those look nice! Better than I expected for such a budget build.

Comment

Thanks all. She was definitely happy with them and listened to them all evening after school.

Originally posted by Kustomize View Post
          Very nice.

zaph has a design with the same driver on his site i believe, filter already laid out for you if you plan to go that route!

I was going to copy that filter but honestly, these aren't too bad as-is. I read a few other posts with folks saying that so I thought I'd try it first, then I could always do the filter later on.

Apparently these boxes are made from Paulownia wood. I have not tried to stain that before but it took the stain pretty well. Much better than something like Pine, that's for sure.

Comment

That 8kHz breakup is probably most apparent on-axis. If you never listen that way, it may not be a concern.
            Francis

Comment

Working...
            X