T/L with Accoustic Elegance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T/L with Accoustic Elegance

Has anyone tried an Accoustic Elegance woofer in a T/L cabinet, or have any opinions on the likely suitability of this combination?

A TL is just like any other alignment. If you want to see how a driver will work in one model it.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thank you, however, while modeling to "see" is all well and good, I prefer to hear from someone who has listened to an AE woofer in a T/L cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by TNA View Post
        Thank you, however, while modeling to "see" is all well and good, I prefer to hear from someone who has listened to an AE woofer in a T/L cabinet.
        You are not wrong, yet you are wrong.
        A transmission line is very similar to a ported or bass reflex alignment.
        It will actually measure identically to a ported box of the same volume and tuning.
        But to my ears, the bass sounds quite a bit cleaner and extended in a TL.
        If you have some AE woofers, head over to Diyaudio - subwoofer sub forum, there is a Hornresp thread there.
        I'll be someone will be willing to model a TL for you.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

"You are not wrong, yet you are wrong."

I have thought for many years that truth exists in paradox, perhaps that too is a paradox.

I haven't any AE speakers, but have used a few different Peerless NE woofers in a few cabinets, including one set of NE225W-04 in T/L cabinets that continue to impress me, and that is after using the same NE woofers in other cabinets that produced what seemed a dull sound.

​​Modeling may work well for people who hear well, I do not, but find I can produce cabinets, using good tweeters in waveguides and good woofers, that appeal to me. So much of listening is subjective, hearing from others who can characterize their subjective experience of a manufacturer's products after listening catefully, helps me consider buying and building something new. AE woofers are tempting.

I'll look at the website you recommend, thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by TNA View Post
            "You are not wrong, yet you are wrong."

I haven't any AE speakers, but have used a few different Peerless NE woofers in a few cabinets, including one set of NE225W-04 in T/L cabinets that continue to impress me, and that is after using the same NE woofers in other cabinets that produced what seemed a dull sound.

​​

Tell us more about the T/L's you had the NE225W-05 in. Was it a MLTL or traditional tapered TL? How long was the line, taper, terminus, etc.
            Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

These are ML-TQWT cabinets. The interior dimensions are 30" X 11.25" W X 9.5"D. The divider ends 22" above the interior bottom, the woofer us centered on the baffle, and its center us 26" above the interior bottom. The line is 58". The divider is 1/2" from the cabinet side and centered st the top. The vent is 3"X6.25".

The 1 1/4" Corundum tweeter is in a 2.25" deep WG, which is slightly oval 8.75" X 11" W. I arrived at the WG dimensions through trial and error.

I don't recall what the coil and capacitor values are, as I recall, I chose them by extensive trial and error.

I built these to suit my compromised hearing. But a friend who is an accomplished cellist seems to think they fairly good. His hearing is far better than mine.

Comment

I should add that the cabinets are 1 1/4" thick, 1/2" Baltic Birch and 3/4" MDF, veneered with Pecky Walnut, or more accurately, bug infested Walnut that was attacted by birds.

Comment

Very interesting design and very nice looking speakers. Thanks for the addition information. When you say you don't recall the coil and capacitor values, does that imply a single part on each driver?
                  Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

It does. They are glued into the blocks and I can't see the values. As I recall, I did quick calculations using an online calculator, but found these were less satisfactory than values that were well outside what seemed conventional.

Comment

Yes, there are similarities between TLs and ported or BR alignments.
                      No, a TL will not measure identically to a ported box of the same volume and tuning.
                      The TLs bass does sound better defined but is not extended unless you are willing to use a larger volume.

I've attached modeling results for a tapered TL, mass-loaded TL and two ported boxes all with the same volume for the driver and tuned to the same frequency. Two graphs are shown for each model. The red line in the first graph is the system bass response which is the response of driver and either the line's exit or port combined with their appropriate magnitudes and phase. The red line in the second graph is obviously the impedance characteristic.
                      Paul

[QUOTE=donradick;n1478236]
                      A transmission line is very similar to a ported or bass reflex alignment.
                      It will actually measure identically to a ported box of the same volume and tuning.
                      But to my ears, the bass sounds quite a bit cleaner and extended in a TL.
                      TL versus ported.doc

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X