No announcement yet.

New Project Critique Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress made. The speakers are all together.

Used the Vituixcad dispersion modeller to try and reduce baffle edge effects (as best I can with sharp corners), made baffle, made the rear connection plate and wired in protection caps on tweeters (12uF) and Mid (39uF), added approx 0.75lb/cuft (1.25lbs) of stuffing (closed box), and closed them up. Set up some initial crossovers in minidsp ready for connecting up when I have checked out my Rotel RMB1066 amp.

I know the box is not ideal (probably too thin, not enough bracing etc) but will serve as a cheap test box until I decide on whether it is worth building a new one. I may veneer with some grey stain just to finish off the look in the meantime.

Comments welcome.
    Attached Files

Comment

They work !!! Couldn’t resist checking the amp, wiring them up, loading up a first stab at a crossover based on manufacturer data and Vituixcad model and seeing it they make a noise. And they do and it’s not too bad considering, liking the sealed bass so far, no booming or room excitement which is great.

https://youtu.be/vvk3L2kE0jg

Excuse the dodgy phone video and sound and the messy room.

Comment

Nice work. I'll bet they sound pretty good.

Comment

Would be funny if you made some stands to tilt the boxes for vertical alignment of the drivers.

Comment

• Ugg10
            Ugg10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the comment. That's one of the benefits of going for the dome mid, it sticks out about 7mm further than the tweeter (as opposed to being recessed like a cone mid) and so is almost time aligned on a flat baffle naturally. Obviously the woofer is not time aligned but this again is fairly easily accommodated in the crossover either actively by a delay or passively with shunt resistors on the parallel legs of high/low pass elements. The tilt would be pretty extreme to get all three in alignment. Using manufacturer data these three seem to play nicely together to get a fairly flat frequency plot on axis and good phase alignment but will confirm with real life measurements as soon as I can.

• DrewsBrews
            DrewsBrews commented
            Editing a comment
            I meant tilt them sideways instead of tilting them forward/back

• Ugg10
            Ugg10 commented
            Editing a comment
            DrewsBrews oh, I get you now, probably would be easier to build a new baffle!
        Working...
        X