Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugg10
    commented on 's reply
    DrewsBrews oh, I get you now, probably would be easier to build a new baffle!

• DrewsBrews
    commented on 's reply
    I meant tilt them sideways instead of tilting them forward/back

• Ugg10
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the comment. That's one of the benefits of going for the dome mid, it sticks out about 7mm further than the tweeter (as opposed to being recessed like a cone mid) and so is almost time aligned on a flat baffle naturally. Obviously the woofer is not time aligned but this again is fairly easily accommodated in the crossover either actively by a delay or passively with shunt resistors on the parallel legs of high/low pass elements. The tilt would be pretty extreme to get all three in alignment. Using manufacturer data these three seem to play nicely together to get a fairly flat frequency plot on axis and good phase alignment but will confirm with real life measurements as soon as I can.

• DrewsBrews
    replied
    Would be funny if you made some stands to tilt the boxes for vertical alignment of the drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    Nice work. I'll bet they sound pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    They work !!! Couldn’t resist checking the amp, wiring them up, loading up a first stab at a crossover based on manufacturer data and Vituixcad model and seeing it they make a noise. And they do and it’s not too bad considering, liking the sealed bass so far, no booming or room excitement which is great.

https://youtu.be/vvk3L2kE0jg

Excuse the dodgy phone video and sound and the messy room.

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Progress made. The speakers are all together.

Used the Vituixcad dispersion modeller to try and reduce baffle edge effects (as best I can with sharp corners), made baffle, made the rear connection plate and wired in protection caps on tweeters (12uF) and Mid (39uF), added approx 0.75lb/cuft (1.25lbs) of stuffing (closed box), and closed them up. Set up some initial crossovers in minidsp ready for connecting up when I have checked out my Rotel RMB1066 amp.

I know the box is not ideal (probably too thin, not enough bracing etc) but will serve as a cheap test box until I decide on whether it is worth building a new one. I may veneer with some grey stain just to finish off the look in the meantime.

Comments welcome.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Monkeybox? (Monkeypox)

• randyohoh
    replied
    Should you decide to go ported, here is accurate pvc pipe data Click image for larger version

Name:	Schedule 40 PVC Pipe.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	1487381

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Quick update, baffles now cut and will order hardware next week. Note, I used the Bituix diffraction model to find the best compromise for teweeter and mid position, this is what it came out with.

Untitled by A H, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Billet Thanks, I think I will try sealed box first with the usual 1lb of Stuffing per cuft and see how that goes. Position in my fairly lively room has always been an issue in the past so sealed may help.

Now just need to name them - the obvious would be the "Satorels" or may be the "Capuchin Cabinets" (i.e. small monkey box?) - any thoughts welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Billet
    replied
    Looks like a great project. I hope you at least try the sealed box alignment, you might be very happy with it...

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_93296.jpg Views:	4 Size:	838.5 KB ID:	1484095 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_93293.jpg Views:	5 Size:	526.2 KB ID:	1484091 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_93294.jpg Views:	4 Size:	644.3 KB ID:	1484092 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_93295.jpg Views:	4 Size:	824.2 KB ID:	1484094 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_93292.jpg Views:	5 Size:	686.1 KB ID:	1484093

Stuff has started to arrive 😁👏

Now have everything to start cutting wood and making a noise.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Dude, That looks like a tremendous build! I loved my build with a Morel dome mid.

Leave a comment:

• Ugg10
    replied
    Well, I have taken the plunge!

Ordered the following today -
    SB Acoustics WO24P-4 9.5” woofer
    Morel EM1308 2.25” mid dome driver
    Morel ET448 28mm Soft dome tweeter
    39uF and 12uF Claritycap PX protection capacitors
    18mm and 25mm MDF sheets
    40m of Kabeldirekt 1.5sq.mm speaker wire
    12 Jantzen speaker binding posts

I’ve got a week off work in a few weeks time so once the garden has had a tidy up I am hoping to get a couple of days on these. I will look for some tubing for ports in the meantime and may order some banana plugs and need some connecting crimps but will need to measure up the driver connectors first. In the mean time if I get chance I can cut out the baffles and rip the MDF to size.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X