No announcement yet.

Underwhelming output from sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ if he doesn't have a splitter he can take a single RCA cable and plug one end into the LEFT Unbalanced RCA Line OUTPUT jack and the other end into the RIGHT Unbalanced RCA INPUT jack and get the same solution.
    Last edited by Steve Lee; 11-20-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi50 View Post
      I feel like I have the best sounding settings on the DSP parameters, I'm just not that impressed with the output.
      Since no one appears to have brought this up, specifically what dsp parameters have been applied?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandroid View Post

Since no one appears to have brought this up, specifically what dsp parameters have been applied?
        The only thing I set was the low pass Xover, set to 80hz...everything else was left at it's default setting...

Comment

I do have an RCA "Y" cable...I plugged it in and I'll see how that changes things...

Comment

Without about a +6dB boost at 30Hz, you should have a pretty weak bottom end.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              Without about a +6dB boost at 30Hz, you should have a pretty weak bottom end.
              *ROTFL!*
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have noticed a few things since putting this sub into use. I have always heard a subwoofer goes through a break-in period. I never knew if this was true or not, but after what I have witnessed with this sub, I think it's true. The sub's output increased with use over the first few days of using it. The increase wasn't huge, but it was enough to notice a difference. Thanks to wogg's suggestion of using a Y cable, this also made a noticeable difference in output. I now actually have the volume control on the amp turned down a bit. I no longer feel that a line driver is necessary. In fact the other day while watching movies, this sub was rattling pictures on the wall. I'm completely satisfied with it now. I appreciate everyone's input...

Comment

Both subs I have utilize both L/R inputs. Never occurred to me that a single input would not work well. Glad to see you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi50 View Post
                    I have always heard a subwoofer goes through a break-in period. I never knew if this was true or not, but after what I have witnessed with this sub, I think it's true.
                    It is true, but the effect is slight, and barely audible if at all, especially with drivers that have foam or rubber surrounds. It's more pronounced with pro-sound drivers that have cloth surrounds.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Both subs I have utilize both L/R inputs. Never occurred to me that a single input would not work well. Glad to see you happy.
                      This seems strange to me considering so many devices that have a sub out only have a single output. It used to be that only the left RCA input was used on sub amps. When did they start using both of them?

Comment

When a sub amp has L/R inputs they're parallel summed. Using both with a Y cord shouldn't sound different than just using one. The intent of L/R inputs is for when it's used with a receiver that doesn't have an LFE output but does have a tape outs that can provide it with signal.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

This particular amp maintains stereo output to the satellites. It is capable of controlling high and low pass for the sub and satellites. That's how I use mine.

According to PE staffer Greg T. answering Q&A, a single RCA sub out should be connected to the LH input, because that side senses for the auto on function.

All this makes me wonder if the sub inputs are actually common, but I'm just a consumer with little expertise in electronics.

It seems to me a lot of the functions of this amp are not used with a simple sub out connection. I specifically bought this amp for a 2.1 PC setup, DAC to sub amp to satellite amp. With LXminis, preamp to sub amp to LXmini XO to 4 channel amp. My .02 cents.

OP says it's louder with both sides connected.

Comment

Shouldn't isn't always right. I tell you from experience, that just Y-ing the end to both inputs makes a huge difference in output. Remember that splitting the voltage gets the same voltage to both leads.
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
                              billfitzmaurice commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's the point, both leads get the same voltage. For there to be a difference there would have to be a voltage increase. I can see how it could be done, given that the summing amp has both balanced and unbalanced inputs. One unbalanced positive could go to the balanced + leg, the other to the balanced - leg. That would double the voltage, giving 6dB gain. Nothing in the manual suggests this is the case. If it is it should be in the manual, it would have saved the OP a lot of time getting it working right.

• Wolf
                              Wolf commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Most single-ended plate amps have a summing network to sum that of the left and right, so this also yields a higher input voltage.

• djg
                              djg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The manual is quite detailed in DSP settings, very vague RE: connections.

I don't believe the OP is utilizing any of the EQ settings this amp is capable of.
                            He's using a 12"HO sub in a sealed box, and I think his extension would benefit from some EQ (maybe +6dB @ 30Hz?).
                            I've not used this amp, but if one of you who has could help him dial in some boost, I think he'd be happier.

Comment

• djg
                              djg commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The amp product page has screenshots of the GUI, and this video is linked which explains accessing the DSP functions via the windows based software or the controls on the plate amp.

The OP would want to adjust the lower frequency level via the 5 band parametric equalizer. -12 to +6db adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLao5AhC0G0&t=35s
                          Working...
                          X