Rebuilding my College Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding my College Speakers

Back in high school and college I had a few different 12" 3-way speakers. I built them all with off the shelf crossovers and what little I knew about speaker design. One of the biggest reasons I bought the equipment to build my own speakers, was to build another 3-way using a 12" driver but with a proper crossover. I know this is probably not a popular design, but it is something I have always wanted to do. I also can see why a lot of people would not want to do this, since the speakers are super heavy. I am guessing over 100lbs per at this point. I will weigh them with a bathroom scale at some point just for my curiosity. The drivers I chose where the Dayton DSA315-8 for the woofer, the Faital Pro 4FE35 8 ohm for the midrange, and the Peerless XT25BG60-04. I chose the tweeter, because it is my favorite tweeter that I have heard (I have not heard a ton, but I like this one). I chose the midrange due to its high sensitivity of 91db and its flat response over the midrange, and the DSA315-8 because it would go relatively low in a not so huge enclosure, at a reasonable price.

The woofer modeled well in just over a 3 cubic foot enclosure with an F3 of just over 27 hz. This will give me right around 107db before xmax. That is about all I can get out of the singe midrange, so that should be enough.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DeZZar
      DeZZar commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget baffle step loss.

I started building the enclosure, and have it ready for measurements. It is pretty well braced, and I lined it with mineral wool.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are a few more views.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here they are ready for measurements. I put them up on a ladder outside a couple days ago, and that was a hell of a job. These things are heavy, but measurements inside with these made it nearly impossible to create the woofer part of the crossover.
        Attached Files

Comment

As you can see above, I machined a beauty ring to cover up the mounting of the Faital Pro driver. Its a good sounding driver, but I assume no one uses it, because it is ugly. This ring makes it look a lot better. So I started the crossover today as I had the day off. I have designed this about 3 times, and I think I have it looking good enough to order the first round of crossover parts. It's not perfect, but it does sim to +/- 1.5db.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks good! Beefy cabinets, how are you going to finish them? XO looks decent.

Comment

I will be painting the baffle black and veneering the rest with cherry. I will also be matching some adjustable feet or outriggers for them. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice. Gonna power them with some vintage chrome, or something modern?

Comment

Those look like they took an incredible amount of effort.

Comment

Chrisn, I will be powering these with a Yamaha RX-V661 as a preamp and an Emotiva UPA-2 that I repaired. I also have my Yamaha RX-V490 that I bought in 1994 when I was 14 that I may have to try.

Steve, so far they haven't been too bad. I think veneering these will be interesting as big as they are. I will definitely be spending a lot of time finishing them once the crossover is complete. I don't like to finish anything until I am done tweaking. I have caused damage in the past when I don't wait.

Comment

Nice work, super heavy. Off topic, but what's that motorcycle peaking out from the background please?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                        Nice work, super heavy. Off topic, but what's that motorcycle peaking out from the background please?
                        That is a 1978 Honda CB750K. My dad bought it brand new, and I learned to ride on it. Now we are upgrading and restoring it a bit. I have a motorcycle problem along with my speaker problem 🙃 Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

• djg
                          djg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you. My age has put me on a Vespa with a Texas Sidecar sidecar rig. Last motorcycle was a Kawasaki Versys 650.

Nice work!
                        Francis

Comment

Really nice work. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

Comment

Working...
                          X