• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work.
    BSME
    Kannapolis NC

Comment

It looks like BSC (full ! ?) IS incorporated into this design.

Once I feel as though I've optimized a design, THEN I try swapping in available values for components, while trying to retain the FR (if not better it).
      Do the inductors (larger, 1st) on early passes as they're a PITA to "modify" (unwind), resistors and caps (which can easily be piggybacked) not so much so.

Comment

I did go full BSC on this. I like my speakers into the room. Hopefully that is not too much with this. I have all my components except for the 4mh inductors. I will hopefully start listening to them this week. I do always go big un the inductors and unwind as necessary. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I finally got all my components in. I have been tweaking these a quite a bit the last few days. I am close enough now to start taking some off axis measurements and move them inside for more listening and tweaking. I also have a buddy with an ear I trust that will help with final tweaking. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You should try to get them raised up from the floor and 5 to 6 feet from any walls (or other stuff). You are going to pick up a lot of reflections if you are measuring them where they are in the picture.

Comment

I measured them outside 7' above the ground. The mic just happens to be sitting there right now. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

• a4eaudio
                a4eaudio commented
                Editing a comment
                I wondered if that was the case, and meant to preface my comment with "IF you are measuring them there...". I originally assumed you didn't, but the way the mic was in the picture thought I'd comment. Cabinets look awesome.

So when I designed the crossover, I did the measurements outside since this is a 3-way and I needed the low frequencies to be as accurate as possible. Right now it is 5 degrees in Minnesota, so I did my off axis measurements tonight in my shop with the woofer centered between the floor and ceiling, then measured on tweeter axis at 1 meter Nothing too alarming. Looks pretty good. My biggest issue right now is deciding if my bottom end is too much. I originally was listening to these with 2 smaller gauge inductors in series to make up the 4.0mh low pass inductor on the woofer. I finally got the correct inductor and it dropped my DCR by half. Now I think I may need to raise my mid and tweeter levels.
              Attached Files

Comment

• DeZZar
                DeZZar commented
                Editing a comment
                I made the same adjustment recently on my last two way. I expected the lower DCR on the inductor to improve bass a little but in the end I also adjusted up mid/treble as it worked a little too well!

• DeZZar
                DeZZar commented
                Editing a comment
                I could also be completely wrong but just double check the gating on your high frequencies. The 1-5K range appears, to my eyes at least, to contain reflections.....

DeZZar, I bumped up the mid and tweeter up about 1 db last night and now it sounds better. These measurements were in my shop, and I noticed that when I got these off the ground, they were close to my garage door opener. I do think they are reflections, since I did not see that outside. With the cold weather I will be measuring inside till spring. Most of what I have left will be by ear. My response looks pretty flat so hopefully only minor tweaks.

As for the sound, the bass is what I was looking for. In all of my other speakers and builds, I was missing that punch in the bass from a kick drum or such. Even with a nice low end response with my sub, I was missing that pant shaking punch in the bass if that makes sense. These do that really well. I also have a very dead room that seems to suck out all my bass. I will move these inside tonight and see how they sound and do some further tweaking. I have one sub right now, but plan on building a second, and will use those to even out the low end in my room.

Comment

I have been listening to these quite extensively, and tweaking the crossover as I go. I think they are pretty much where I want them. After adding in a lower dcr inductor to the woofer, I definitely had to bump up the mid and tweeter levels. It definitely took a lot of tweaking to balance it out. The XT25 tweeter can be extremely detailed, but if too hot, will get harsh quick. I really like it once it blends in correctly. The bass is really good. It has pretty much rendered my sub useless. I am about ready to tear them apart and start finishing them. I ordered veneer yesterday, and should be able to start finishing them after Christmas. I drew up 2 different option is Solidworks below. The brown area will be a cherry veneer, and the black will just be a polished gloss black. I am leaning to the one on the right at them moment.
                Attached Files

Comment

I concur- right one.
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• DeZZar
                    DeZZar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree. Definitely the right!

• fpitas
                    fpitas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another vote for the right one.

I finally finished voicing these. A 3-way definitely takes a lot more work, but is not as bad as I thought. It definitely worth the effort. I did not like them at all as originally simmed. After a lot of tweaking, they are quite good. I have brought a few friends over to confirm whether or not I was on track. I couldn't be happier. They are big though. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got my supplies to veneer and paint these. I am going to use epoxy this time to seal the mdf. I am not looking forward to lugging these back upstairs. I weighed the and they are just under 90lbs. I will be finishing them per the right image above using a v-groove between the veneer and the black paint. I did a sample shown below. I like how it is shaping up. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Making a little progress on finishing these. I got the cherry veneer on. I also epoxied these in prep for paint. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

A little more progress. Veneer on and stained. I put one layer of primer on to start filling in the last of the blemishes and nail holes. I should be able to paint them this weekend. I have the crossovers mounted also. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

• DeZZar
                          DeZZar commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking great - looking forward to seeing them finished!

What stain did you use? I like that color on the cherry.
                        David

Comment

Working...
                        X