Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilding my College Speakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    This is what I used. It is critical to use the pre stain conditioner, otherwise the stain will be super dark to the point you can't really see the grain. I also found with this combo you need to wait about 72 hours before applying the poly. I have applied sooner and the poly starts lifting the stain for some reason. I will take a few more pics, since I took these while the poly was still wet and looks funny as it is drying. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #32
      Here is the same color combo on a set of Amigas I did a few years ago. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #33
        Well that's darn handy. I happen to have that GF Java gel on the shelf. I only tried it once it and was hard to work with but I didn't use pre-stain or sanding sealer. I'll try it again, thanks

        Comment


        • #34
          A little more progress tonight. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #35
            Lookin' sharp.

            Comment


            • #36
              Well, they are back hooked up. Not done yet, but are for a while. I will hand polish the paint once it has dried for a couple weeks. I will also be working on grills. My first attempt was an epic failure. I did bury a few magnets in these, so still possible. I also machine feet for these, but it is hard to see. Should have grabbed a pic while they were in my shop. I had another pair of speakers in their place while I was finishing these. I definitely prefer these. I really like the midrange over my 2 ways. The bass is great too of course. These will stick around for awhile for sure. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #37
                I am quite impressed with the finish you achieved on that MDF, Sir.

                BTW - is that a bass trap in the corner behind the right-hand speaker?

                Also, do those diffuser panels on either side of the monitor provide any noticeable attenuation to room effects in the audio spectrum?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Below is the final crossover circuit I ended up with. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

                  Steve, the finish is not bad, but it is slightly better in the pics. I still need to polish it. There is a bass trap in the corner. I built that with rockwool insulation. I also have a few panels around the room made of the same. of everything I did, the corner bass trap was the most noticeable. The diffusers seem to help, but I can't lie, I also built them because I thought they look awesome. Imaging did seem to be a bit tighter after installation. I put everything up in the room before I owned a measurement mic. I now need to start measuring the room and verifying their location. I did start playing around with my sub placement, and it is now in the back of the room.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Those diffusers do look good in there . . .

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I finally got to the grills for these. With kids and dogs, it makes me feel better at least. They are magnetic, and I countersunk some magnets from the back side when building the cabinets. I am really enjoying these!! Now I need to figure out a name for them. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X