Parameterized CAD model for speaker enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parameterized CAD model for speaker enclosures

For anyone interested, I published a parameterized CAD model for loudspeaker enclosures. Intended primarily for 3D printing, but may also be of interest to someone looking to do translam on a CNC:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5145220

Attached Files

VERY cool.

Comment

Just to confirm. The STEP file isn't parameterised. It is is the commercial CAD file that is parameterised?

Comment

I don't believe it is possible to parameterize a STEP file is it?
        Also, for any who don't know, Fusion 360 is free for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by zx82net View Post
          I don't believe it is possible to parameterize a STEP file is it?
          Not to my knowledge but it is a grossly overcomplex format so seemed worth a check.

Originally posted by zx82net View Post
          Also, for any who don't know, Fusion 360 is free for personal use.
          For how long?

Comment

With all due respect, can you please define "parameterize", in your own words, as well as "Universal Speaker Enclosure", and "translam on a CNC".

Comment

"To parameterize" by itself means "to express in terms of parameters". Parametrization is a mathematical process consisting of expressing the state of a system, process or model as a function of some independent quantities called parameters.
              "translam on a CNC" Means to cut the translam parts on a CNC machine.
              "Universal Speaker Enclosure" Is a speaker box that you do not use in a audio system. It is only a generic box for testing drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by TNA View Post
                With all due respect, can you please define "parameterize", in your own words, as well as "Universal Speaker Enclosure", and "translam on a CNC".
                I am not the OP and can't help with the last two but parameterising a solid model is fairly useful if you want to modify it. It means specifying the model using variables rather than constants for the quantities you might wish to change. In the case of a speaker cabinet that might be the internal width, height and depth, the cabinet wall thickness, baffle thickness, location of drivers, and perhaps one or two other quantities. It is particularly useful for simulations (my main interest) where you might take a fair chunk of time creating files for a datum speaker geometry, modal analysis, sound radiation and various plots. If the geometry is parameterised it can then take only a few seconds to setup and launch tens of different cases with different sets of parameters. If not, one needs to create and save tens of different sets of files and run them individually which is more cumbersome, time consuming and error prone.

There is more than one approach to parameterising a solid model and the history of the STEP geometry standard is interesting but perhaps not that relevant to a speaker DIY forum. What might be more relevant is what package to adopt for creating solid models and I suspect my reasoning and the OPs' may differ.

Comment

Thank you for the clarifications.

After looking up parameterize and its spelling variants, and having some knowkedge of parametric and direct design CAD software, I concluded that in this case "parameterize" is being used as a synonym for "delineate", or more likely, "design".

I assume the O.P. has a preference for .step format as a way of making the file accessible.

I could not see a single enclosure design as "universal". Upon reading the designer's description of the enclosure on the linked website, I concluded there are a few drivers that might be used in the enclosure, I erroneously thought "universal" in the sense of any and all drivers.

Given access to the 3D model of the enclosure, a person might modify it to mill various parts on a CNC machine in order to produce the enclosure, "translam" being only one approach.

Comment

It’s only universal in the sense it can make make a rectangular enclosure of any finite dimensions above about 50mm. That doesn’t mean the resulting boxes would be useful to every kind of speaker project, of course. If my use of the word universal offends you, I offer you a complete refund. 😆

Comment

Is this parameterized to mount neatly into a 1982 280zx? If so, a picture or two of that would be swell.

Comment

"If my use of the word universal offends you, I offer you a complete refund."

Not offended, only puzzled.

Comment

Working...
                        X