Crossovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossovers

I bought these T26SG tweeters from GR Research and he refuses to return my emails, I'm asking for t/s peramaters so I can build crossovers,his website doesn't have the complete peramaters, anyone have info on these tweeters?

T/S parameters for tweeters? What sort of enclosure did you plan to make for them?
    Francis

Comment

And T/S parameters aren't part of the crossover design process, even for woofers. You start with unwrapped phase and frequency response on-axis, and impedance vs frequency.
      Francis

Comment

Crossover design requires you to have measured the frequency and impedance results once the tweeter is mounted in its desired location.

Everything you need to know is right there on the website....

SPECIFICATIONS:
        Frequency Range 1k - 20kHz
        Free Air Resonance 600Hz
        Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
        DC Resistance 4.5 ohms
        Voice Coil Diameter 25 mm
        Max Power 100 watts
        Sensitivity 94 db
        Face plate size 3.925"
        Face plate depth .2"

The TS params that you would concern yourself with are ones to be considered when choosing the tweeter in the first place. FS, Ohms and Sensitivity. But as you have already chosen it, put it in place, measure it and go from there.
        Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
        Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
          Crossover design requires you to have measured the frequency and impedance results once the tweeter is mounted in its desired location.

Everything you need to know is right there on the website....

SPECIFICATIONS:
          Frequency Range 1k - 20kHz
          Free Air Resonance 600Hz
          Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
          DC Resistance 4.5 ohms
          Voice Coil Diameter 25 mm
          Max Power 100 watts
          Sensitivity 94 db
          Face plate size 3.925"
          Face plate depth .2"

The TS params that you would concern yourself with are ones to be considered when choosing the tweeter in the first place. FS, Ohms and Sensitivity. But as you have already chosen it, put it in place, measure it and go from there.
          I guess those are kind of T/S parameters. But yeah, those don't do much good for crossover design.
          Francis

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
            billfitzmaurice commented
            Editing a comment
            Prelude to Spam. Is that by Debussy?

• fpitas
            fpitas commented
            Editing a comment
            A little known piece, featuring the Nocturnal Links overture.

• fpitas
            fpitas commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually kind of clever. Post something guaranteed to draw a crowd, then BAM spam link! I hope I finally find the essay writing service I've been seeking.

If someone here doesn't have the measurements you need, you'll have to measure them yourself. There are threads here describing the necessary gear and methods.
          Francis

Comment

Pretty sure it's a Peerless India model tweeter, but AFAIK, those are no longer being produced.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Tell us what you're building?

Comment

Already built, Dayton audio dcs380 15 inch classic subwoofer faitalpro 6fe200 professional midrange,2 of the T26SG tweeters from GR Research,if that's what they really are, don't trust the guy,as he won't return my emails, and so crossover networks haven't been built yet, my brother will be building them, he's been doing diy for 20+years and says he's still learning,as I don't know anything at all about building networks, I know how to build cabinets, and so I built these cabinets according to bassbox6 suggestion, parts express,3.85cf.for sealed box,3 way design, my brother says,he will build 12db crossover for tweeter, for power handling,as I have crown xli 800 to power these, I have wanted to build my own hi powdered diy speakers my whole life, I am 56 years old, and have some pretty serious health issues, and wanted to do at least this one thing before I croak, and now I did it, HAHAHA!!!

Comment

• djg
                  djg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good luck.

Oh, and by the way, this is a 4ohm build, sorry bout that.

Comment

Best of luck with it. I guess the point remains though....at this stage you need actual measurements of all drivers in your cabinets to develop a crossover, not ts parameters. And a 12db network on the tweeter may or may not be what's required in the end...

Does your brother have the equipment for taking measurements and the software for modelling a crossover?
                  Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
                  Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Yes he does, I don't remember the software for the crossover, but I do know that he has bassbox6, anyway won't be needing that,caus I've already built the boxes per part's express bassbox6 high fidelity suggestion , boxes are 38h 19w 14d,all sides rounded over,heveyly braced, internal volume 3.8cf,may be a little less caus of bracing. Crossover software might have been crossover pro or something like that, I'm not sure.

Comment

Think I'm in the right place, you guys sound like you know what you're talking about.

Comment

My woofers sensitivity is 93.6, midrange is 95, tweeter is 94, so I know we will have to pad down the mid a little bit, but the tweeter we may or may not.

Comment

You will have to pad both when baffle step is accounted for.
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
                            Editing a comment
                            That depends on the speaker placement. If it's close to a wall what wraps around the speaker will bounce back into the room. If it's flush mounted there is no baffle step. If placed on the floor that affects the low end as well. I prefer to do the same with BSC as I do with the rest of the components, measure the result in-room with typical placement to be sure of what, if anything, is needed.

• Wolf
                            Wolf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Fair enough, Bill. However, most of the time a build this large is not going in or on wall. Even on-wall or against a wall will have a slight loss due to the distances from baffle to wall.

• billfitzmaurice
                            Editing a comment
                            True, but the assumed 6dB loss to baffle step is seldom realized, unless the speaker is outdoors. Life and in room response are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. That's why we always used to mount the crossovers externally, usually on the back of the box, allowing easy component substitution.
                        Working...
                        X