Seeking advice for down firing port length/tuning in a subwoofer enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    The Frequency of resonance (Fs, Radio Shack used to call it Fo <-this being a zero), measured in "free air" (meaning no box, not even a baffle) does not change with (a "reasonable amount of) drive voltage. Many modern "systems" (like DATS, or the WooferTesters) use something below 2.83v (I THINK?). Maybe more like 1 volt? They run a 20-20kHz sweep and it's not very loud.
    That's good to know, thanks, Chris. I'm currently still in prep phases so it will be some time before I have an enclosure to actually test with but when I get there I will make sure to keep the volume low. I can't imagine a 20-20kHz sweep being very pleasing to the ear when blasted haha.

Comment

I recalled the other day why I originally decided against a slot port. The reason being that I was wanting to flare any port that I used so if I went with a slot port I'd add a round-over to the port opening. Since I'm planning to cover the enclosure with a walnut veneer the round-over didn't seem to be so compatible with that type of finish. After thinking about it a little more I don't think this would pose as big of an issue as I originally thought. I could even make the round-over deep enough to where the bit could cut a nice 90 degree edge at the start of the round-over which would make for a good transition for the veneer.

I originally ordered a 4" Precision Port kit and was planning to use that but the the thing is massive and the air port velocity I'm getting in WinISD is a little higher than I'd like (max at just over 24 m/s) while the slot port provides better results (right at 16 m/s). Is the port velocity of the 4" Precision Port a concern at all?

Click image for larger version

Name:	flared_port_vs_slot_port.png
Views:	120
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1481867

Comment

Your 1.5 x 12 port will probably give a lower Fb and higher velocity than predicted. There's a zone of high friction that extend perhaps 1/4 inch from the walls, effectively removing that zone from the port area. That's not a problem when the smallest dimension is 3 inches or more, but it makes that 1.5 inches act more like 1 inch. This, BTW, is the reason why all ports tend to give a lower than predicted Fb. As for the precision port, whatever chuffing that it may create will be filtered by the down firing configuration.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          Your 1.5 x 12 port will probably give a lower Fb and higher velocity than predicted. There's a zone of high friction that extend perhaps 1/4 inch from the walls, effectively removing that zone from the port area. That's not a problem when the smallest dimension is 3 inches or more, but it makes that 1.5 inches act more like 1 inch. This, BTW, is the reason why all ports tend to give a lower than predicted Fb. As for the precision port, whatever chuffing that it may create will be filtered by the down firing configuration.
          Thanks for the confirmation, Bill! I will go forward with the 4" Precision Port then. That was my hope since returning the darn thing would have cost about the same, if not more, than what I paid for it.

Comment

This slot isn't down-firing, but no reason why one can't be (with clearance).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              This slot isn't down-firing, but no reason why one can't be (with clearance).

What was the expected tuning and the slot height you used? Looks like maybe 1" to 1.5"?

Comment

10 y.o. build, already! HiVi SP-10. SA250 amp (w/NO boost).
                12"w x 17-1/2"h x 18-1/4" long (deep). Driver chamber ended up at 0.88cf i THINK (after amp & GIANT MAGNET). LOOKs like about a 2 cu.ft. sub (size-wise).
                Slot is 10-1/2" wide by 1" high, x 52" long. Target Fb was 24Hz. If it didn't turn out exact, it wasn't off by more than 1 Hz or so.

The slot "height" ends up to be a critical dimension, as a slight variation in that short dim. (times the slot's width) can change the tuning quite a bit.
                For the same tuning at only 7/8" high, the slot length would have to change by about 8".
                I used 1" spacers between the 3/4" slot "fins" when doing the glue-up. I THINK the white material might have been a pre-finished shelving board (but I did not purposely sand/paint it - except maybe the end "turns")? It IS pretty smooth, though. Exit is rounded-over.

This (used - door prize from meniscus) driver did not match HiVi's T/S specs. The Qts was pretty close (0.56), the Fs not much higher (40Hz), but the Vas was quite small (0.26 cu.ft.). The surround on this thing was like an over-inflated bicycle tube. You could lay the (heavy) driver face-down on the surround and it would barely budge it. These specs/box/tuning look pretty funky in WinISD - until you throw a 50Hz low pass on it. It's only used for the bottom octave (with 8" mains). Output peaks right at the tuning freq.

Comment

I could see how a slight different in the height could make a big difference for a slot port, especially at 52" long. I believe the modeled port length I got was somewhere around 25" and I would certainly use some kind of spacer to ensure correct slot height. Though I think I've convinced myself to go with the Precision Port. It will take up a little less space in the cabinet and will be easier to terminate alongside the veneer.

Comment

Working...
                  X