Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeZZar
    replied
    These are the FRD and ZMA trace files I made for the tweeter. Along with the 0,15,30 diffraction modelled FRD's.

Also on the driver tab of Vituix - I have 'Minimum Phase' selected.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    hmmm hard to understand what the difference is but it seems the impedance and phase might be the issue. I'll attach my trace files for the tweeter.

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    No the mic should be in front of the woofer - the driver offset is taken care of in the crossover model. 11.95sd noted - it doesn't make any real difference though.

• zinger084
    replied
    i fiddled with the components and I think this looks right, but i'm posting my diffraction models and other info here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 3.PNG
Views:	181
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1481699 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 4.PNG
Views:	171
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1481700 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1481701 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.PNG
Views:	164
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1481702 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 5.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	1481703

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    also, not sure what's up, but i re-ran the diffractions to match Dezzar and here is my mirrored crossover components... with a nasty dip in the middle...???
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	390.1 KB ID:	1481692

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture 1.PNG Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	1481693 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture 2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	1481694

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
    Apologies I just noticed I had 'open baffle' ticked at some point running the diffraction model. I re-ran the models to be sure with the following updated result....
    Should the microphone in the woofer model actually still be placed where the tweeter is going to be located since that's my 36" seated height listening plane?

EDIT: another item i noticed is that your tweeter diffraction doesn't list the 11.95 properly for the Sd:
    https://www.parts-express.com/Peerle...ableshopping=F

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    Originally posted by rpb View Post
    So.....What is your intended use for these speakers? What are your primary performance concerns?
    Well I’ll start by saying the two sets I’ve made in the past (18 and 10 years ago) just used prebuilt 2k 2-way crossovers and I used speakers that I liked (one set was Dayton classics with silk domes and others were 8” dynavoxes with mid range morels. I had no idea that there was such great software out there to simulate so many things. I did know that you don’t want square boxes, you don’t want uniform speaker placements on baffles, etc, but this software is amazing.

That said, these two are going to be the rears in my basement home theater buildout. My fronts and center are going to be 7” DA references with morel 378’s. I haven’t started simulating those yet and I’m looking into MTM or MMT layouts.

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    I have to say I'm pretty surprised. I wouldn't have even considered a 10" two way (and probably still wont) but if everything here translates from the theoretical to reality its a bit of a shock. These things could be +- 1.6db f3 to 20K! That's only one dimension of the sound of course, but still not something I would have expected.

• DeZZar
    replied
    Here is an update showing "purchasable" values.

You will want to keep the DCR (resistance) on the inductors to a minimum. This is modelled with:
    L1: 0.47mH 15AWG 0.19 Ω
    L2: 2.2mH 15AWG 0.473 Ω
    L3: 0.75mH 15AWG 0.26 Ω
    (all available in Jantzen Air-Core)

I recommend the Mills or Superes for the resistors. In terms of caps - spend as much as you like on the tweeter - I recommend just the Jantzen Standard Z-Cap here - you can go more if you like. On the woofer network any of the MPC caps are fine. I tend towards the Cross Caps myself.

Name:	XO-schema-realistic values.png
Views:	183
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1481683

Name:	xover SPL_realistic values.png
Views:	177
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1481684

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    commented on 's reply
    This looks like a good x-over. It's not much more expensive than a simple filter that would not work as well.

• DeZZar
    replied
    Apologies I just noticed I had 'open baffle' ticked at some point running the diffraction model. I re-ran the models to be sure with the following updated result.

Name:	xover XO-schema-2.png
Views:	206
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1481630

Name:	xover Six-pack.png
Views:	193
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	1481631

Drivers have good phase alignment - this is the 'reverse null' when inverting the tweeter

Name:	xover SPL_reverse tweeter.png
Views:	192
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1481632

And just so we are all on the same page, this is the diffraction model I used for the drivers:

Name:	Diffraction models.png
Views:	189
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1481633

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    commented on 's reply
    Totally agree. Often a cheaper woofer/tweeter results in a more complex and expensive crossover particularly when stretching the limits with a combo like this one. In my experience simple crossovers come from well behaved drivers that match up comfortably on a good baffle design.

• rpb
    replied
    So.....What is your intended use for these speakers? What are your primary performance concerns?

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    3 "notes":
    1st - I don't model BSC (I just show it to you in my FR - it's "generic") or diffraction ('cause I'm lazy and don't know YOUR baffle layout).
    2nd - Diffraction (which you can SEE in "Edge" - and apparently "model" in VCad) is worst when a tweeter is exactly the same distance from the 3 (closest) adjacent baffle edges...

If you DID trace the woofer plot - I'd like to see what you got (errors can be made setting tracing limits - or adjusting the scale incorrectly)...
    I did not trace the woofer since the frd's and zma are available from Dayton. However, I did trace the Peerless tweeter...

Good info on the tweeter location and diffraction. I was messing with that on the diffraction tab of Vituix... very cool to see it change. now give me the reason why my Dad's EPI 120 B's have an offset tweeter... who knew...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    Originally posted by dcibel View Post
    zinger084 Recommendation for accurate design data in VituixCAD is always to use real measured data. However, to understand the tools and response processing, I've created a document that describes how to process manufacturer data with VituixCAD tools that roughly follows a similar process that would be completed with real measurements. It should be helpful to you to get started with VituixCAD with something that at least resembles reality.
    wow, this is a great starter... thank you... saved to my files.

this program is loaded with features, and I've been watching as many videos as possible to learn as quickly as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X