The Harmonious Table Radio 2.1 Sound System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harmonious Table Radio 2.1 Sound System

Click image for larger version  Name:	HTR Thumbnail pic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.0 KB ID:	1481710

I have a friend at work that I’ve been wanting to make a radio for. I envisioned a 2.1 system for her, and completed the subwoofer awhile back using a Peerless SLS-P830945, 5-1/4" subwoofer in a tall-but-small tower enclosure.

Here is the link to that post:
    Harmonious Table Radio Subwoofer - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum (parts-express.com)

I finally finished up this project and it sounds quite nice. The amp and preamp are both AliExpress units. The amp advertises as 80 watts per channel for the stereo portion, and 100 watts for the sub portion. There is a low-pass filter, and not TOO terribly high like some of them. It blends fairly nicely.

The drivers for the radio are the Peerless TC9FD18-08 drivers that PE sells and were recommended to me by a few folks here at Tech Talk, although I’ll be darned if I can find that thread. They’re a decent, even-steven sounding speaker… and although I did add a LR filter to it, they didn’t necessarily require it. For the price, they’re pretty sweet.

Here is a before-and-after of the Frequency Response… Red with filter, Blue without.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1481713

I didn’t go too crazy with it… I didn’t see the sense as it could be put any number of places, nightstand, shelf, kitchen counter, etc. It’s just a buyout 0.21 mH iron-core coil paralleled with a 5.6 Ohm 10 watt resistor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TT Filter Solder.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.4 KB ID:	1481709

I tried a different finish… something that isn’t veneer this time. I was inspired by my niece Summer-Lace, who made some wooden coasters finished in faux Marble for us and they look realistic. I decided to try this on this radio, and it came out pretty good I think. There is a technique to spraying the stuff, but it’s not too hard.

Name:	HTR Back view TT.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	1481714

It’s 24 volts at 5 amps coming in from a power brick to get the maximum output from the amp. I brought that down to 12 volts with a Meanwell DC-to-DC isolated convertor for the preamp which needs constant voltage to keep the FM stereo presets in memory. It’s a decent preamp, and it does have knobs, but it’s got it’s issues too, they all do.

I have to play with it for a good week or so to shake it down and make sure everything is working well before I hand it off, but I think she’s going to like it. Between the radio and the sub, it sounds more like a home stereo system, not just a radio. I’m sometimes amazed at how nice fairly inexpensive drivers can be made to sound.

I'll try to get dimensions here soon.

As always, I have to thank all of you guys for the great advice over the years, I draw upon it each and every time I put one of these things together, trust me!

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Nice. I thought it was formica.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      Nice. I thought it was formica.
      My first thought too, but I couldn't figure out how he joined it together...tricky

Looks good! Those inductors are tiny!

Comment

That looks great Tom! The marble finish really makes it look professional. Care to share the product and application technique? I would like to give it a try on my next small 2.1 project.

Glad you like the TC9's. Besides their odd shaped polymer frame they perform like a Scanspeak 10F
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, it tricks the eye a bit, not sure what to make of it, knowing it can't really be marble.

I used Krylon Marbelizing Spray.

Name:	Krylon Spray Tom.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	1481786

Man, I 'gotta stop taking those human growth hormones! J/K the can is kind of tiny.

I had to order from Amazon, couldn't find it locally. I guess with the pandemic crafters are going for broke with anything they can. I'm not sure if there really is a 'technique' other than try not to spray too much and make sure the can is moving. It happens fast, so it's almost over before it starts.

The video will show what I mean with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJxKuKbibXs

Any old black spray paint works as the base, and I used Krylon acrylic clear coat for the top shine... fairly easy. If you wanted to get fancy, you could go nuts with clear lacquer and really 'Tart' it up. But, the marbelizing spray does add some thickness where it lays, so it would take a bit to build up enough clear to not sand through it.

Was that you that recommended it Craig? I'm sorry, I couldn't quite remember who, and I couldn't find the link. I do like that driver, it does nothing wrong, and for the price... well, I have two that I plan to use soon enough, put it that way.

Here are the basic cabinet dimensions:

Name:	TT Cabinet Dimension Drawing (Medium).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	1481787

BTW, I think each driver volume ended up being around 82 cubic inches, or 1.34 liters approximately.

Thanks for looking,
          TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Rustoleum has a mafia like grip on the market around here.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Rustoleum has a mafia like grip on the market around here.
              Here too
              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Awesome work as usual Tom! I do like the sound of the TC9's and need to finish my 10F FAST project.
                My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

So many great little details, there, Tom.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Working...
                  X