Flat Cone Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Cone Woofer

I have a pair of Phase Tech PC 80s from the last century. The coating on the flat face foam drivers has turned to a powdery mess. I sprayed some clear lacquer to stabilize the mess. Is there anything else I could do?

Not really to me knowledge. When foam surrounds go, there is no repairing them - only replacement. For foam covered cones, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf recone kits - but you may be able to scrape any remaining foam off of the substrate and re-apply some light foam bought from, say, a hobby store. I have no idea what kind of adhesive etc.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

If they are what I think they are they are passive radiators. Just a piece of plywood with foam attached for dampening.
      "Every man owes a part of his time and money to the business or industry in which he is engaged.
      No man has a moral right to withhold his support from an organization that is striving to improve conditions within his sphere."
      -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ericanderson View Post
        If they are what I think they are they are passive radiators. Just a piece of plywood with foam attached for dampening.
        I dont think so as Phase Technology uses flat cone woofers/drivers for there loudspeakers.

Review! The Phase Technology PC1.5 Bookshelf Loudspeaker! - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleshadow View Post
          I have a pair of Phase Tech PC 80s from the last century. The coating on the flat face foam drivers has turned to a powdery mess. I sprayed some clear lacquer to stabilize the mess. Is there anything else I could do?
          Those old woofers are an unusual design described in the review circa 29 January 1991 at the link below. I think that practicable modest repair attempts on the unusual woofer will excessively change the response. Replacing the woofer with another different woofer requires re-engineering the crossover filters and the tuning of the alignment. Everything has a lifecycle.

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...ech/index.html
          "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
          of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
          - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
          A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
          (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

If I loved the sound I'd try brushing off all the old foam and gluing new pieces on. Yes that's a lot of work, and like JRT alludes to, may change the tuning. So, just like most vintage restorations, it depends on how much work you want to do.
            Francis

Comment

Working...
            X