Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fpitas
    replied
    If I loved the sound I'd try brushing off all the old foam and gluing new pieces on. Yes that's a lot of work, and like JRT alludes to, may change the tuning. So, just like most vintage restorations, it depends on how much work you want to do.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleshadow View Post
    I have a pair of Phase Tech PC 80s from the last century. The coating on the flat face foam drivers has turned to a powdery mess. I sprayed some clear lacquer to stabilize the mess. Is there anything else I could do?
    Those old woofers are an unusual design described in the review circa 29 January 1991 at the link below. I think that practicable modest repair attempts on the unusual woofer will excessively change the response. Replacing the woofer with another different woofer requires re-engineering the crossover filters and the tuning of the alignment. Everything has a lifecycle.

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...ech/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Unbiasedsound
    replied
    Originally posted by ericanderson View Post
    If they are what I think they are they are passive radiators. Just a piece of plywood with foam attached for dampening.
    I dont think so as Phase Technology uses flat cone woofers/drivers for there loudspeakers.

Review! The Phase Technology PC1.5 Bookshelf Loudspeaker! - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• ericanderson
    replied
    If they are what I think they are they are passive radiators. Just a piece of plywood with foam attached for dampening.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Not really to me knowledge. When foam surrounds go, there is no repairing them - only replacement. For foam covered cones, I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf recone kits - but you may be able to scrape any remaining foam off of the substrate and re-apply some light foam bought from, say, a hobby store. I have no idea what kind of adhesive etc.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleshadow
    started a topic Flat Cone Woofer

Flat Cone Woofer

I have a pair of Phase Tech PC 80s from the last century. The coating on the flat face foam drivers has turned to a powdery mess. I sprayed some clear lacquer to stabilize the mess. Is there anything else I could do?
Working...
X