Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change the shape of a speaker design

Hi,

Can I change the shape of a speaker design without affecting it's performance?

I know I cannot change the baffle's dimension, at least not the width and the tweeter distance to the top... but... can I make a trapezoid instead of a box?

Why I need this? Well I have a -very- small room and want to locate my surround speakers (in a 5.1.4 system) at ear level and 120º from the MLP. To do this, as I have a wall in the back of the couch, I need to move the couch a little bit forward (I can't move it too much, there is no space) and use a trapezoidal shape speaker (respecting the baffle dimension) so that the surround speakers can be aimed to the MLP at a 120º angle.

AFAIK, diffraction should not be a problem and neither is BSC (if i respect the original design's dimension).

So, why not get a speaker with that design? Well, I aiming to have all 5 main channels with the same 2 or 3 way DIY speaker design.

I would also change the alignment, from vented to sealed, but this is only an extension problem, correct? Some of the designs I have in mind have an extension down to 40-50hz, that I won't use as I will be crossing them over 80hz, so I guess a little WinISD can give me the "smallest" volume I need for an F3 around that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-23 124305.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	1481774Note that I flipped the speakers, but don't mind it.

Cheers.

So long as the internal volume is the same it's fine. Take it one more step, make them right triangles mounted in the corners and you eliminate the BSC and Allison Effect. At that point the baffle dimension doesn't matter.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      So long as the internal volume is the same it's fine. Take it one more step, make them right triangles mounted in the corners and you eliminate the BSC and Allison Effect. At that point the baffle dimension doesn't matter.
      The internal volume will be the same or something that would work with a sealed alignment with an extension around 80Hz.

About the right angles, you mean something like this?

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-23 145517.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1481781

Or like this?

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-23 150025.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1481782

Comment

Not to speak for bill, but I think he meant like this:

Name:	22 50.png
Views:	133
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1481784

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
          billfitzmaurice commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct, although not necessarily with that much toe in. My L/R fronts have that configuration, with their axes both aimed at the center of the listening position.

Sadly I can't make that configuration, as in one of there corners is the entrance door.

Comment

Working...
        X