Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surround speakers that match the Amigas and sunflower CC .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surround speakers that match the Amigas and sunflower CC .

I am looking for a design for surround speakers that can be mounted directly on the wall up near the ceiling ( My ceiling is 8' ) . I want them to be a good pairing with the amigas . These will be mounted on the back wall in the corners of the room . I'm trying to keep them small . I am still playing with the idea of sealed amigas , but they may be a little big . Not sure on the exact dimensions yet . Thanks !

Small RS based. BOBinGA is a member here.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...4-and-ND20FA-6

Comment

Even smaller. Excellent sound, cheap to build.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...0-8-easy-build

Comment

• fpitas
        fpitas commented
        Editing a comment
        OT, but those are begging to be part of a 3-way with a big woofer. Bob did a nice job with the crossover.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        I use mine with an 8" Dayton sub, 2.1. They really do sound good.

Even smaller, in PE's little flat pack.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...fa-hibm65c20-8

Comment

And this.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...bipolewhatwhen

Comment

Do you use a subwoofer, and if so what frequency do you crossover to the sub?
          Do you have a home theater receiver that has DSP, i.e., a microphone and system like Audyssey that measures multiple points in the room and then applies equalization?

If yes... if I were you I'd get some assistance from the helpful people on the forum to design a speaker with the same tweeter used in the Amigas and the Dayton Audio RS100 (the 4" version of the RS180 in the Amigas). Start with the crossover used in the Amigas and tweak from there...you won't need any baffle step compensation (BSC) and you don't have to get as smooth of a response as the Amigas...after all, these are just surround speakers and the receiver will equalize some for you anyways, so keep the XO parts down.

For box size and tuning, search for proven designs using the RS100. (Start with Choti HT - A Micro HT speaker in the Project Gallery and the larger Ion-4 by Pete Schumacher at DIY Soundgroup).

Comment

I'd second a4e's recommendation for using an rs100 design ... I think it's a great driver. I would add another rs100 design to consider called the Pecorino by cjd. I've had them for years and recently set them up again after using the Quarks for months on my desktop and really enjoyed them. I actually bumped the enclosure up to the Ion size (another one I've been eyeing to build by another highly respected designer here) that also adds a port and it took them to another level .... very nice speaker. A nice thing about the Pecorino design is there are on wall and full bsc variants ... I am using the on wall variant.

Comment

I should add, I'm not sure how low a surround might need to play and the Pecorino uses a small sealed box that may not go low enough but if placed in a ported cabinet I think it certainly would.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                Do you use a subwoofer, and if so what frequency do you crossover to the sub?
                Do you have a home theater receiver that has DSP, i.e., a microphone and system like Audyssey that measures multiple points in the room and then applies equalization?

If yes... if I were you I'd get some assistance from the helpful people on the forum to design a speaker with the same tweeter used in the Amigas and the Dayton Audio RS100 (the 4" version of the RS180 in the Amigas). Start with the crossover used in the Amigas and tweak from there...you won't need any baffle step compensation (BSC) and you don't have to get as smooth of a response as the Amigas...after all, these are just surround speakers and the receiver will equalize some for you anyways, so keep the XO parts down.

For box size and tuning, search for proven designs using the RS100. (Start with Choti HT - A Micro HT speaker in the Project Gallery and the larger Ion-4 by Pete Schumacher at DIY Soundgroup).
                Yes , I have a Sub , crossed over at 40Hz at the moment . With the Amigas it really isn't needed too much , But I've only been testing my Amigas . I have a Yamaha HT receiver it has the YAPO microphone .
                And yes , My plan was to stay with the same type of drivers to match the system as close as possible . I'll take a look at your suggestions . I am really a novice at this , I have no test equipment , so I would love to just find plans and build what has been tested and works good .

Comment

If you build the Amiga with a .3 cubic foot enclosure sealed, it may work well for you. It models with an F3 of 75hz. With the smooth roll off, it may work ok on wall. Just use the dimensions of the tweeter and woofer from the top of the cabinet like in the design and shorten it up. You may also be able to go shallower too. I think it would work well.

Comment

Working...
                  X