Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-back-mid 3-ways: How bad if close to wall?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open-back-mid 3-ways: How bad if close to wall?

    Itching to build 3-ways like Mini-Statements or Finalists.... something larger than my current SR71's.... but they will need to be at most 9" from the front wall due to space constraints.

    For the SR71's, I've mitigated this problem by having 4" thick absorption panels behind them. Thanks to Bill Fitzmaurice for the tip there.

    But for Mini-Statements or Finalists, how will this work with the open-back mids? Isn't the whole point of an open-back mid that the sound from the mid reflects off the front wall? In which case being close to the wall with absorption panels is exactly the wrong approach, correct?

    Thanks
    Last edited by lunchmoney; 02-04-2022, 06:52 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
    Itching to build 3-ways like Mini-Statements or Singularities.... something larger than my current SR71's.... but they will need to be at most 9" from the front wall due to space constraints.

    For the SR71's, I've mitigated this problem by having 4" thick absorption panels behind them. Thanks to Bill Fitzmaurice for the tip there.

    But for Mini-Statements or Singularities, how will this work with the open-back mids? Isn't the whole point of an open-back mid that the sound from the mid reflects off the front wall? In which case being close to the wall with absorption panels is exactly the wrong approach, correct?

    Thanks
    It depends. Some designers go open back to avoid the "boxy" sound.
    Francis

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fpitas View Post

      It depends. Some designers go open back to avoid the "boxy" sound.
      Ok.... and would said designers still consider doing so if it were close to the wall with an absorption panel?... my concern is that the absorption panel would absorb too much of the midrange, and therefore not sound right

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post

        Ok.... and would said designers still consider doing so if it were close to the wall with an absorption panel?... my concern is that the absorption panel would absorb too much of the midrange, and therefore not sound right
        It depends again. Some go to great lengths to absorb the back wave in a tunnel etc, some let it fly out the back.
        Francis

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fpitas View Post

          It depends again. Some go to great lengths to absorb the back wave in a tunnel etc, some let it fly out the back.
          Ok, so let's limit the discussion to the Mini Statements, which were designed to be open-backed and not absorbed. Home theater mains, close to the front wall with thick absorption panel, medium sized room, listening distance about 9 feet. Might be crossed to a 12" sealed Dayton ref sub, TBD.

          Does it still depend?

          What other factors would you want to know in order to offer an opinion?

          Thanks

          Comment


          • fpitas
            fpitas commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you need the designer to weigh in. I'm not any kind of expert on that kind of design, just a spectator.

        • #6
          Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
          What other factors would you want to know in order to offer an opinion?
          In room measured response in open back and sealed configurations.

          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

          Comment


          • #7
            Honestly, in your situation I'd choose a speaker that doesn't feature rear radiation.
            Francis

            Comment


            • #8
              With all due respect, Singularity is not open back. It is an 8" full range MLTL. I built a pair. You must be thinking of something else.

              The Statement Monitor has a near wall XO variant.

              And whatever you build, we expect an epic build thread.

              And I built a pair of SR71s. Pretty awesome speakers. I've linked your Blackbird center design a few times, but nobody has bitten.

              Comment


              • #9
                Some heavy reading for you. On room placement etc. I built a pair of LXminis, btw.

                https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by djg View Post
                  With all due respect, Singularity is not open back. It is an 8" full range MLTL. I built a pair. You must be thinking of something else.

                  The Statement Monitor has a near wall XO variant.

                  And whatever you build, we expect an epic build thread.

                  And I built a pair of SR71s. Pretty awesome speakers. I've linked your Blackbird center design a few times, but nobody has bitten.
                  My bad, I meant to say the Finalists not the Singularities. I'll check out the Statement Monitor, Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    My Jamo R909's state that they need to be at least 3 feet from the back wall and 4 feet from the side wall. Angled at 10 degrees and you don't want highly reflective surfaces, things like curtains and bookshelves are highly desirable. I can provide them what they need and they sound great.

                    Not sure that 9 inches from the back wall is a good idea. Mine are open baffle in the bass too so not sure how that changes things compared to just open baffle mids.

                    I have found Dirac Live to work miracles, perhaps it can counteract some of the negatives of placement too close to the wall?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X