Thoughts on acoustic treatments for this listening environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on acoustic treatments for this listening environment

So I have what is probably one of the worst spaces available for listening but its what I'm stuck with at the moment as we are between houses and likely here for another couple of years. The sound is just acceptable, but the room is quite 'bright' with substantial echo, and I've been pondering what I might be able to do to even just improve it a little. Bass is ok, its strongest sitting back in the couch against the rear wall, drops off a little if you sit forward, but otherwise remains consistent throughout the room at that level.

Here is a diagram of the room. Its the living room on the second floor of a three storey townhouse. To the left is just the open dining and kitchen area that completes the level. The rest of the floorplan should be fairly self explanatory. The ceilings here are 2700mm or 9ft roughly.

For anyone experienced in effective acoustic treatments - what suggestions, if any, might you have for this space?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Listening Room.png
Views:	202
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1482428

I had been contemplating perhaps an acoustic panel on the wall behind the couch, perhaps some behind the speakers, maybe some movable free standing panels that could be put up against the glass for listening sessions, even a movable panel to cover the tv?......but....I'm not going to pretend to be any sort of expert on this aspect of audio....
    Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
    Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Do you have carpet? Thick carpet helps a lot.

I know some people put rugs on the wall, or make acoustic panels with rockwool. Cover them with fabric and they blend on well.

Comment

Check this site out, lots of good info on acoustic treatment: https://realtraps.com/info.htm
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

FWIW, I used the 24 x 48 x 4" thick panels all around my listening room, at first reflection points etc. I put them on furniture legs to get them up off the floor. Of course I prefer a pretty dead space, like a recording studio control room. YMMV

ATS Acoustic Panels (atsacoustics.com)
        Francis

Comment

there's a rug on the floor but no carpet. acoustic panels of some description are the obvious answer the question is more a case of where the best 'bang for buck' might be. behind the couch, behind the speakers, in front of the TV, on the glass...or in the ceiling to wall corners?

Comment

• Thicker absorption behind the speakers as bass traps.
            • Moderate absorption at first reflection points (walls and even ceiling if possible). Sit at the main listening position and have someone move a mirror across the sidewall, when you can see the speaker that is a reflection point. (I realize one of your walls is a window.)
            • Diffusion behind the couch. You can find DIY quadratic diffusers but I think they tend to be about 7 inches deep and you'd want a little space between the back of the couch and diffuser, so this may not be practical.
            • In addition to carpet, curtains and/or blinds (e.g., double honeycomb blinds) can provide a decent amount of absorption.

Comment

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post
              I had been contemplating perhaps an acoustic panel on the wall behind the couch, perhaps some behind the speakers, maybe some movable free standing panels that could be put up against the glass for listening sessions, even a movable panel to cover the tv?.....
              so pretty much run with this then?

Comment

The only one that you may want to get rid of is behind the couch. Sometimes TOO MUCH absorption makes the room dead. But it will be easy enough to try it with and without.

Comment

The left had side of the room is just open out to kitchen etc and echo's a bit and the glass is virtually floor to ceiling. A panel behind the couch has to fit above the couch and below an air conditioner (lol) so it could only be a relatively small item anyway. But my thinking is that even just a few panels might give a 10% improvement and I'll just make them myself. I cant really attach anything too permanently so ceiling isn't really an option....

Comment

Working...
                  X