Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Mine were 1099 and 879. The minima above Fs is about the same on both, and starts the rise in the same place as freq decreases. However, the lower Fs model has a higher magnitude before it finally starts decreasing in stature and that is where they differ most. In terms of bandwidth where they are likely to be used, I would call them close in profile and when compensated will operate very similarly.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    replied
    just thought i'd share this... i got my DATS unit a few days ago and measured one of my three Morel 378s. the stock specs says Fs is 700... however, the first i measured Fs is 1042!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	1482922
    Morel 378 Impedance_ZR_DATS_20220214.zma

Leave a comment:

• norman bates
    replied
    You are right, he is nice and does share.

i have that one, the raven cat 2-way..
    i have another one also, thrush i think.

maybe the scanspeak classic redo of the vifa p17 can work (mtm).
    the 8 ohms would give a squeek of baffle step area, while the 2 x 4ohms in series, i would have to get away from the simplicity of 5.6uf cap on morel making 92db and -6db at 2khz, and -12db at 1khz........

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    No idea what this sounds like, but I've built Mr Chua's "Lark SM" and really like them. He's very friendly, approachable and cabinet details/crossover details are available on request:

https://ampslab.com/blog/2018/02/28/raven-cat-1/

CAT378, RS180P, DA270

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• norman bates
    replied
    Any open designs for cat378 mtm's out there ?

i have 4 tweets collecting time in my closet.

I'd had luck running it with the 5.6uf cap slid back 2-3" with an eminence b102 (run wide open), but have been curious for perhaps cleaner mids.

2khz crossover point is rough for a 6.5" mtm, but i sit 10' away.........

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Wolf, will check them out

Geoff

• Wolf
    replied
    My measured impedances, and a spec-FR with added tail.
    Wolf
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Chris, those look much better - I'll use them in future

Geoff

• Wolf
    commented on 's reply
    If you comp the Fs, whatever the reason, you'll need different values in their respective networks.
    Wolf

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Try these FPTraced files (Geoff's don't look good to me - the SPL is waay off?).
    277-084.FRD
    277-084.ZMA

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    commented on 's reply
    making me want to get PE DATS unit i've heard others using on this forum... i think it can do RLC and impedance...

• Geoff Millar
    commented on 's reply
    That's interesting, thanks: would the differences be enough to affect the sound?

Geoff

• Wolf
    replied
    Be advised the impedances may not match between them as the pair I have do not. The curves start in the same places, but the magnitudes are different.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• zinger084
    commented on 's reply
    thanks for sharing. i traced too... i'll see how they compare to yours.

yes, i have some smaller morels in the other room and they've been great performers.

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Here are my 'fptrace' version of the files, but unless the files are measured with the tweeter mounted on the same sized baffle as yours, they won't be accurate anyway. I used the 'official' graph provided by Morel - which may or may not be accurate.

I didn't use them to design a crossover, rather, to model an existing and proved design from MTM to TM.

Excellent tweeter, by the way

Geoff
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X