Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirttracker73
    replied
    The search works pretty good; http://projectgallery.parts-express....ized/tiny-tym/ , maybe...

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I definitely found that little woofer to be pretty good. Better than the aluminum cone 4" HDS I used once. It has some useful T/S parameters for a small woofer that allows it to go pretty low for a 4" with exceptional cone control for a ported enclosure. IIRC I put it in the PE 0.23 flat pack and tuned it somewhere in the 50's. I don't really remember the details, I am sure I covered them in the writeup but I ain't going anywhere near that project gallery to look.
    Ha, ha, got'cha.

I read up on your project when Iglow mentioned it. It all sounds like high enough praise for me to give it a try. I like poly for it's neutral sound (generally) And I'm not going to lie... that frame is just sexy!

Thanks for the input sir!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    I definitely found that little woofer to be pretty good. Better than the aluminum cone 4" HDS I used once. It has some useful T/S parameters for a small woofer that allows it to go pretty low for a 4" with exceptional cone control for a ported enclosure. IIRC I put it in the PE 0.23 flat pack and tuned it somewhere in the 50's. I don't really remember the details, I am sure I covered them in the writeup but I ain't going anywhere near that project gallery to look.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by rpb View Post

After you run a sweep, the gating is not really set even close to correct. Using the mouse, you drag the slanted line that shows in the impulse window till it's close to the first reflection. You can see that first room reflection in the impulse between 120 and 140. With my speaker in a 12 x 14 room, and 48" above the floor, I get what you see. I can set gating slightly lower, but it doesn't change anything, so usually, I just adjust to 300hz. The response showing below 300hz always drops as shown. It's not a lack of bass, but anything shown below the gate, I ignore. I actually think of it a a flat response below the gate. I do my x-overs by trial and error, so there's no reason to alter this response by adding a tail, and no need to create an frd file from it. Instead, I get out my xo parts, and jumpers, and start trying things. The level at 1k will be brought down to match the level at 300hz, or be slightly lower due to the woofer low pass roll off. It's just like using PCD, but you run a sweep with each change. For a 3-way x-over, I do things the same way, but I have to be more creative on how I measure the woofer, and also the woofer / mid summation.
    Okay, I think I understand. I often just kind of assume my enclosure model will work as predicted/be fairly flat, and concentrate on 'above 200 Hz' material as well for the most part.

TomZ

PM Replied

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    Thanks RPB. That looks quite nice. It appears it could be used with many tweeters as it seems to be able to cross fairly high.

Quick question, I see on your FR graph the word Gating appears sideways near the 300 Hz marker. Is that the point where the program figures that low frequency response starts to be affected by the room, based on the gate time and mic distance you input into the program? If so, it's cool that it lists that.

Thanks again for posting that!
    TomZ
    After you run a sweep, the gating is not really set even close to correct. Using the mouse, you drag the slanted line that shows in the impulse window till it's close to the first reflection. You can see that first room reflection in the impulse between 120 and 140. With my speaker in a 12 x 14 room, and 48" above the floor, I get what you see. I can set gating slightly lower, but it doesn't change anything, so usually, I just adjust to 300hz. The response showing below 300hz always drops as shown. It's not a lack of bass, but anything shown below the gate, I ignore. I actually think of it a a flat response below the gate. I do my x-overs by trial and error, so there's no reason to alter this response by adding a tail, and no need to create an frd file from it. Instead, I get out my xo parts, and jumpers, and start trying things. The level at 1k will be brought down to match the level at 300hz, or be slightly lower due to the woofer low pass roll off. It's just like using PCD, but you run a sweep with each change. For a 3-way x-over, I do things the same way, but I have to be more creative on how I measure the woofer, and also the woofer / mid summation.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Thanks RPB. That looks quite nice. It appears it could be used with many tweeters as it seems to be able to cross fairly high.

Quick question, I see on your FR graph the word Gating appears sideways near the 300 Hz marker. Is that the point where the program figures that low frequency response starts to be affected by the room, based on the gate time and mic distance you input into the program? If so, it's cool that it lists that.

Thanks again for posting that!
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• rpb
    replied
    I've played with them, but have not completed projects using them. Here's some on axis, and 45 degrees off axis measurements. The woofer is mounted in a diffraction friendly box with large bevels.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    They are great sounding little midwoofers Tom. I did a TM project with them in about 5 liters ported and produce surprising bass! Super smooth midrange and very esay to work with. IIRC I crossed them over around 2700 Hz. I used them with the small frame SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeter. I bet they would work great with the Beston RT003C that was the DOTD a few weeks ago. Maybe even a MTM with the Beston in a tall and narrow MLTL tower. Anyway, I think you will really like them!
    Good, thanks for the info. Everything I was hoping for. Now for some tweeter window shopping...

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    They are great sounding little midwoofers Tom. I did a TM project with them in about 5 liters ported and produce surprising bass! Super smooth midrange and very esay to work with. IIRC I crossed them over around 2700 Hz. I used them with the small frame SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeter. I bet they would work great with the Beston RT003C that was the DOTD a few weeks ago. Maybe even a MTM with the Beston in a tall and narrow MLTL tower. Anyway, I think you will really like them!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it's as good as it seems.
    I've always liked poly cone drivers, for their more relaxed sound, and this one does look especially nice with the textured frame and such as well.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• iglow01gt
    replied
    Check the Project Gallery, JR submitted one called Tiny Tym.

Leave a comment:

• davidB
    replied
    Hi, Tom

I have used these, and their less common glass and nomex siblings many times.
    Very easy to use, in a car they will go as high as you can hear with the motor running.

Apropos to your idea, in 1980 I had built some mltl minitowers with the 4" Pioneer wideranges(coated by my friendly Peerless rep), with audax tweeters.
    When these died in storage between 20 and 30 years later, I put in the 830870s. Sounded great. LOT of sand in the bottom to get the voluime down(hole too small for bricks).

I ended up putting pairs of 830870s in the bottoms, opposed. Fortunately the boxes were covered everywhere but the back w/formica, so partitioning & reporting was possible without destroying everything.

These also make excellent mtms, mad had a design w/2 of these and an xt25-30, I made a few HT systems with those(can't find the xover, maybe someone still has it), it was very cool, almost symmetrical bits, a pair were my desktops for years.

More? Well I've used these to replace mids in classic 3ways, mids in OBs, and as pseudo-microwalshes.

Just get a pair or two and play with them, these are more fun per dollar for guys like us than just about anything.
    Last edited by davidB; 02-05-2022, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Anyone use the Peerless 830870 4" Woofer before? #264-1070

Hey guys,

the title pretty much says it, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Peerless 830870 4" Woofer before, PE part #264-1070.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Peerless 264-1070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	1482538

I've been eyeing it for quite awhile and I think it will work for a future higher-quality mini-tower idea as a midwoofer, but I wanted to know how it worked for you and what was your implementation.

Thanks for any feedback.

TomZ
Working...
X