Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Effect Of Adding Multiple Drivers

Hi,

I wonder if someone could explain the effect of adding additional drivers in parallel on volume. Does adding an additional, identical driver in parallel with another increase volume? If so, by how much and would that be a linear increase throughout the volume levels (as the DB increases)? Or perhaps it makes no difference at all?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge / research

At the same drive level (voltage); wiring a pair of 4ohm woofers in series won't get louder, but you gain +6dB wiring 8ohm woofers in parallel.
    Of course the load the amp sees will be cut in half, which can cause problems.
    This is not recommended for tweeters due to comb-filtering (but CAN work on "array-specific" designs).

Comment

Thanks Chris. I think I need a bit of time to digest what you've said. I'll probably have follow up questions tomorrow. The first of which will likely be with reference to the ohm'age you mentioned that 8ohm drivers in parallel will gain 6dB; is that the same for 4ohm drivers?

Comment

You also (radically) affect the polar radiation pattern with multiple drivers. Here's a program that will give you some idea what happens:

Tolvan Data
      Francis

Comment

Originally posted by LewisH View Post
        Thanks Chris. I think I need a bit of time to digest what you've said. I'll probably have follow up questions tomorrow. The first of which will likely be with reference to the ohm'age you mentioned that 8ohm drivers in parallel will gain 6dB; is that the same for 4ohm drivers?
        Welcome to the hobby! There is a bit more to designing a proper loudspeaker than meets the eye. The folks here will push you to do things right (a good thing!) so ask lots of questions and check out the resources they suggest.

Yes, when you wire two identical drivers in parallel you will gain 6db. This applies to four ohm drivers as well. That also makes the net impedance (ohmage) half though, so two four ohm drivers in parallel will result in a 2 ohm load, which will make a lot of home audio amps unhappy.

Comment

A lot of good-sounding speakers have multiple drivers (for example, the Revel Salon2), but it's kind of an advanced topic since learning the basics is challenging enough.
          Francis

Comment

Working...
          X