Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to update Paradigm Atoms Verson 3 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to update Paradigm Atoms Verson 3 ?

I live neat the ocean in New England and it doesn't like anything that corrodes. Well the drivers in my speakers are shall we say a bit green. I would like to add new drivers If possible and upgrade them. Is this even possible? They have great enclosures.

It's almost certainly possible. And almost certainly you'll have to also design a new crossover, if you expect it to sound good.
    Francis

Comment

Don't know about replacing the drivers but I have updated cabs for the atoms before. Nice little speakers

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_120047.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	1482732 Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_120032.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	521.2 KB
ID:	1482733
      Carbon13

Comment

• fpitas
        fpitas commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder how well that waveguide works?

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
      Don't know about replacing the drivers but I have updated cabs for the atoms before. Nice little speakers

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_120047.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	1482732 Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_120032.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	521.2 KB
ID:	1482733
      Those look great! Getting rid of the ridge (lip) on the original front baffles would be high on my list of potential improvements. I would be tempted to sand it off rather than replacing the baffle.

Adding a small amount of polyfill behind the OEM polyfill pad in the lower half of the cab helps tame the ~600 hz resonance that can make the originals sound a little "chesty" if they're anywhere near a wall or corner.

I haven't explored re-using the cabinets for a different design. The Atom V2/V3s are pretty satisfying from the factory and cutting the front baffle off seems to be more work than making new boxes. Looks like this set have been refoamed. The original surrounds are likely shot on any set still in service. The last set I repaired looked okay when I pulled the midwoofers, but crumbled with the slightest touch.

Comment

I know every speaker is slightly different, but If I use the same ohm rating and same size won't they sound good with the same crossover ? There in great shape for there age. I checked the foam surrounds and there fine. But they sure don't sound the same.

Comment

• fpitas
          fpitas commented
          Editing a comment
          This question comes up frequently with vintage speakers. It's a complete crap shoot, honestly. Just because a driver is "8 ohms" doesn't mean the impedance curve, or the frequency response is similar to other "8 ohm" drivers.

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          Updating old commercial speakers with drivers that "fit the holes" is rarely successful.

• fpitas
          fpitas commented
          Editing a comment
          A few people here have pulled it off, because they loved the old cabinets. But usually it was more work than starting from scratch.

Unless you just want to develop speaker design skills by jumping into the deep end, a kit is a good beginning. If you find one that employs a cabinet with a very similar front baffle size (for similar baffle step compensation) and internal volume, you might be able to use those cabinets.
        Francis

Comment

Working...
        X