Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HiFiCompass measurements - How to interpret and what matters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devnull View Post

Should a driver that costs that much need that many crossover parts to make it usable?
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

If you like what hard-cone drivers do, you're stuck with that sort of thing. Obviously, that's a matter of taste. I like the "see-through" clarity I get from my W18s.
    Of course, there's always the paper cone Purifi model for those that can't be bothered with added filter complexity. I hear its just okay though, so might as well go the extra mile for the Aluminum version
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

I notched the ultrasonic resonance in my EMP build using the 27TAC/GB.

There also Is interesting info in the Purifi doc, about notch filters, that apparently I've been doing a lot of. Using the dual notch arrangement to both short out and attenuate a breakup range is something I do a lot, but the reduced HD is both good news and results I was unaware of.

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The only real gripe I have with the article is the use of terminology. What they describe as a series notch, I would describe as a parallel notch, because the components are in parallel (but the network is in series with the driver). What they describe as a parallel notch filter, I would describe as a series notch filter, because the components are in series (but the network is in parallel with the driver). The description of series/parallel notch filters in this article is backwards from common electrical conventions for this terminology.

"I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

A series notch is of series components placed across the driver, at least this is convention.
          A parallel notch are parallel components placed in series with driver. This is normal convention.

i may have misread the article, but did not come to the same conclusions.
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Not that www.diyaudioandvideo.com/ is authoritative, but they define them as below. When I was first trying to understand notch filters for my first speaker, I did come across a lack of consistency in terminology on the web.

Parallel filter...

and series filter...

Comment

Yes, that's the correct terminology.

Comment

Working...
              X