Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice.... BSC on 1.5,inch drivers? Any poin?t?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice.... BSC on 1.5,inch drivers? Any poin?t?

Been fiddling around with the print for the tiny ghetto blaster and was wondering if there would be any point/need etc to have a BSC or any other filter on these tiny drivers? I'm using the DMA45-08's for this project
    Attached Files

This would be a good application for one of those new 4-channel BT/DSP boards. You could add a tweeter and have a nice 2-way stereo BT setup. I've been working on the CPU code for an ESP32 micro that lets you control this amp using your cell phone. One of the menu items is BSC, which for this design would be fairly high (800Hz and up). It's also got full EQ and ADI's SuperBass algorithm. I still need to add the ADI DynamicBass algorithm, which will adjust the bass HPF based on the volume. Once I finish that, I will post a link to the code at this location: Mom’s Bluetooth Garden Table – Audiodevelopers Reborn. The link currently only has some background info, but details are coming...

I like the work you are doing with 3D printing, and I see a good match with the electronics described on my website. I'd be happy to send you a CPU or working CPU/amp, if postage isn't too nuts.
    Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Think of baffle step as a tone control, add it if needed.

Comment

Baffle step happens regardless of the size of the driver. Where it occurs is a relationship between driver size and baffle size. Use the Diffraction tool in Vituix to play around with different baffle sizes, drivers sizes and driver positions to see the effects.
        Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
        Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• DeZZar
          DeZZar commented
          Editing a comment
          1.8 - 2.0mh + 8ohm.

• 3rutu5
          3rutu5 commented
          Editing a comment
          So being only 2 1.5 drivers, this isn't going to act as a low pass but instead remove any humps around 300?

• 3rutu5
          3rutu5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn was going through my left overs, had 2 DNR-4's, 2 LW18-50's, 2 2.5 iron cores and some other things.

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
        This would be a good application for one of those new 4-channel BT/DSP boards. You could add a tweeter and have a nice 2-way stereo BT setup. I've been working on the CPU code for an ESP32 micro that lets you control this amp using your cell phone. One of the menu items is BSC, which for this design would be fairly high (800Hz and up). It's also got full EQ and ADI's SuperBass algorithm. I still need to add the ADI DynamicBass algorithm, which will adjust the bass HPF based on the volume. Once I finish that, I will post a link to the code at this location: Mom’s Bluetooth Garden Table – Audiodevelopers Reborn. The link currently only has some background info, but details are coming...

I like the work you are doing with 3D printing, and I see a good match with the electronics described on my website. I'd be happy to send you a CPU or working CPU/amp, if postage isn't too nuts.
        Hey mate, I don't think I have much room internally on this one as it is a quick reduction of the bigger one I'm hoping to do. I'll have a look later tonight after work, oh and I'm an Australian so probably cost a kidney to send anything my way

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
          So being only 2 1.5 drivers, this isn't going to act as a low pass but instead remove any humps around 300?
          No its a shelf filter. It does this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShelfFilter.png
Views:	201
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1483363

Which is the opposite of the baffle step effect which in something like this:

Name:	BaffleStep.png
Views:	195
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1483364

On its own it wont compensate for anything else going on with the driver.
          Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
          Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

• 3rutu5
            3rutu5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry if I add if on its own it won't compensate?

• DeZZar
            DeZZar commented
            Editing a comment
            No it will compensate for baffle step, I meant it won't compensate for anything else. It might need a notch or something also depending on the response of these drivers.

• 3rutu5
            3rutu5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Too easy, thanks mate. I grabbed some jantzen inductors and some 8.2ohm res from a local joint. Hopefully come by the weekend

The BSC filter CAN be used (externally) on any (impedance compatible - to the filter "load") speaker - between the speaker and the amp.
          (Like if you had a small pr. of computer speakers (w/OUT BSC) and just wanted to temp. "try" the filter to see if you liked it.)

I know YOU won't be using it in this way, since everything'll be inside your B-Box. Just sayin'.

Comment

The (tiny) elephant in the room here is your drivers will run out of Xmax even quicker.
            Francis

Comment

• 3rutu5
              3rutu5 commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah that is true and most on here know i try to break the speakers first run....its going to be interesting on what im wanting to do thats for sure

Originally posted by DeZZar View Post

No its a shelf filter. It does this:

Name:	ShelfFilter.png
Views:	201
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1483363

Which is the opposite of the baffle step effect which in something like this:

Name:	BaffleStep.png
Views:	195
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1483364

On its own it wont compensate for anything else going on with the driver.
            Hey mate, me again, you mentioned series for this filter, so dumb question I assume that means soldering from the wire to the inductor, then inductor to the resistor then to the other end of the wire

--------|----R------->+

I finally got aeound to fixing my printer so reprinting the tiny Bluetooth speaker idea

Comment

• JRT
              JRT commented
              Editing a comment
              No. The filter is comprised of inductor and resistor wired in parallel. The filter is wired in series with the speaker. The effect is that the resistor is in series with the load current and the inductor provides a bypass path for current around the resistor at lower frequencies.

• 3rutu5
              3rutu5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks just noticed it, it was the 18 Guage series not the thing in series.....what a. Doofus, put that down to being half asleep

• DeZZar
              DeZZar commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like you're all sorted. Don't worry I still end up questioning myself - is this series or parallel? But yeah as JRT pointed out, parts in parallel, filter in series with driver. The inductor controls the point where the attenuation starts and the resistor controls how much attenuation is applied.
          Working...
          X