10 inch woofer choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 inch woofer choices

Hi all. I want to start a new build. I happen to have a spare pair of bass cabinets internal volume of 1.6 cu ft. They previously had a 10 inch woofer in it so I want to reuse the cabinet. I am considering these woofers for a 3 way floor stander. The new woofer does not need to go extremely low as I have GR Research Subs. They will only need to go up to 400hz. (I usually crossover a the baffle step frequency of 375hz). let me know which of these is preferable.
    Visaton W250S-8, Arum Cantus AC250/75C2C, SS 25W/8565 or SS 26W/8534G. Not that there is considerable price differences and unless there is a significant performance difference I would like to go with the more inexpensive driver. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Try the Peerless 830668, and save both crossover complexity and money.

I have used both it and the W250S, the Visaton for cosmetics(it matched the 4inch Visaton already used).

Both are good w/subs, the Peerless a better value and works sealed for sub blend, and ported for standalone.

Comment

I'd add this RS270P to the list. https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...-8-Ohm-295-579

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
        Ive heard the paper version and I liked it better than the aluminum version which I owned at one time. Dayton specs are pretty far off from my experience.

Comment

I like the Visaton W250 (not the S) for a sealed box, and probably an open backed box also. It has a very clean sound with solid bass. An Eminence Legend BP102 might be a nice option also.

Comment

From my experience, Dayton specs are very close; AC specs are WAY, WAY off.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post

Ive heard the paper version and I liked it better than the aluminum version which I owned at one time. Dayton specs are pretty far off from my experience.
              I used one sealed in a 1 cu-ft box. How much of your box volume will be required for the mid? Personally, I like the idea of a larger than needed mid chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post

I used one sealed in a 1 cu-ft box. How much of your box volume will be required for the mid? Personally, I like the idea of a larger than needed mid chamber.
                The Mid and tweeter will be in separate enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by Billet View Post
                  I like the Visaton W250 (not the S) for a sealed box, and probably an open backed box also. It has a very clean sound with solid bass. An Eminence Legend BP102 might be a nice option also.
                  Not sure what the S designates but that is the one PE sells. I do happen to have a pair of BP102 in house!! Do you think I should just use those for now?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post

Not sure what the S designates but that is the one PE sells. I do happen to have a pair of BP102 in house!! Do you think I should just use those for now?
                    PE sells the W250, it has a higher Qts and is quite good for sealed and possibly open baffle systems. The W250S driver has a coated paper cone and a larger magnet, it might be better for ported systems. I've used the the W130S, W170S, and W200S in sealed boxes and they all sound nice.

I have been wanting to use the BP102 for years and have not yet made an opportunity to do so. If I had a pair of BP102, I would certainly use them if they seemed applicable to your application. I think that they should easily fit the frequency range and enclosure size that you are planning to use.

Comment

The 102 looks quite good for your bandwidth, Eminence's graph is weirdly scaled, but the peak is early and quite mild, should be an easy filter.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Comment

Seems like the 830668 might lend itself to a "capacitor assist" alignment as well. Still, F3 mid 40's in 1.5 +/- not too shabby. In 1.7 vented I'm seeing a pretty broad 3db hump from 45-80 ish. Might be a good old rock n' roll speak. Then play with stuffing, plugging ports, cap assist, lots to play with there.

Comment

The OP will use sub(s), so no need for heroic measures.

Nice low Q sealed.

Comment

Thanks davidB . What tool do you guys use for designing the box size/Q. I have Win ISD but I dont like it that much. Was wondering if there is another tool for enclosure design. Thanks

Comment

I use AJ Sealed Designer for quick and dirty calcs: AJ Audio Subwoofer Box Enclosure Design Software - Sub Speaker Cabinet Building Program Downloads (ajdesigner.com)

Like davidB referred to above, I use a low Q (maybe 0.5, not real critical) when bass extension is not a priority. I think it sounds more natural, but YMMV. I also fully stuff with a mixture of cotton waste, fiberglass and Acousta-Stuf.
                              Francis

Comment

Working...
                              X