Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

off.topic - how far can you go on a buck converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off.topic - how far can you go on a buck converter?

With the cans and last 3d printed project I was able to run a 18350 1200mah battery boosting to 6.5v and get around 6-7 hours of runtime. The next one I was using an amp that can take 5 to 24v and was intending to use a Sony 18650 3000mah battery for it, just wondering how high I could go without suffering? With the amp I was going to use 6 3v LEDs in parallel and mindful that a boost in voltage will probably mean I won't be getting a max of 2A current (,not sure I actually would)

So question is how far could I potentially go without it going to crap..

That's a how high is up question. Any voltage converter, buck, boost, Cuk etc. will get less efficient as the ratio of input to output voltage increases. Having said that, some modern ICs allow getting surprising efficiency.. But good magnetics still costs money, so you generally have to pay for quality.
    Francis

Comment

Yeah I know it's a "how longs a piece of string" question lol. For me I was thinking If I went 12v off a 3.7v battery it's probably going to start showing signs of failure like restarting the BT chip etc

Comment

That's not a huge ratio, but you may have to pay extra to get a decent one with good efficiency. That is a boost converter, BTW.
        Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
          That's not a huge ratio, but you may have to pay extra to get a decent one with good efficiency. That is a boost converter, BTW.
          I have a couple, but reckon they are cheap ones. Might have to try a google

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post

I have a couple, but reckon they are cheap ones. Might have to try a google
            DigiKey or Mouser are where I'd start, but shipping might be a problem for you. Amazon may have something too, but that's definitely more hit-or-miss.
            Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

DigiKey or Mouser are where I'd start, but shipping might be a problem for you. Amazon may have something too, but that's definitely more hit-or-miss.
              No digikey is my go to, spend 60 AUD and you get free courier in 4-5 days. I need to try get some RPI parts so might build up a little order

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post

No digikey is my go to, spend 60 AUD and you get free courier in 4-5 days. I need to try get some RPI parts so might build up a little order
                Sounds good. If DigiKey sells it, it most likely has full specs and actually works lol.
                Francis

Comment

Working...
                X