A advice question - help request on woofer repair/replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A advice question - help request on woofer repair/replacement

After years of listening to speakers, 20 years ago, I found a pair that just resonated with my ears. I have being told I like a bit more "brittle" sound - I just believe the artist has the right to express their sound. The speakers were PMC LB1 reference speakers that have Dynaudio 15W75 4ohm woofers. I listen to these straight through a small power amp with no preamp. To my dismay - I recently picked up scratchy distortion in one speaker at certain frequencies. I switched the woofers and was surprised that in the switched to speaker, it seemed to decrease the distortion, but unfortunately did not clear it totally. This makes me think its the woofer and not crossover. I can order from PMC new woofers, but dont believe the dynaudio's are made anymore. This makes me a bit nervous laying out for new woofers that may not have the same sound that took me so long to find.

My options as I see it
    1) Try find a reputable store to repair the woofer/s
    2) Order new PMC woofers (not sure what they are)
    3) Try some other woofers (any suggestions if you have heard the PMC LB1's?)
    4) go hunting new speakers - difficult as it took some time to find these.

I am not a professional speaker builder and cant say I switched woofers in speakers to see the impact etc. So really looking for some advice here from those that may have done this a few time. Thank you

First thing. Typically you can't swap woofers (or any driver) with another type or brand without modifying the crossover. Sure it will still make sounds, but the frequency response can be wildly off.

Having said that, PMC may have had someone clone the original woofers. You might call or email to find out the situation.
    Francis

Comment

Thank you Francis, PMC just got back to me, and they can offer me a pair of woofers as replacements, but it is not sounding (pun intended) like the greatest idea for speakers this old and for that $ price tag. It is probably worth me considering replacing the whole speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by bloemie View Post
        Thank you Francis, PMC just got back to me, and they can offer me a pair of woofers as replacements, but it is not sounding (pun intended) like the greatest idea for speakers this old and for that $ price tag. It is probably worth me considering replacing the whole speakers.
        Vintage restoration is usually an expensive labor of love.
        Francis

Comment

If the scratchy distortion is obvious enough that you can notice it really easily, can you try connecting the woofer straight to the amp (without any crossover nor other speakers) and see if it still has the distortion?...even though the rest of the sound will be different and weird with no other drivers nor crossover filling the missing frequencies and flattening the response.

That should at least narrow down if it's the woofer or something else.
          I had a loose crossover part that only resonated at certain frequencies and gave a distortion I was convinced was from the cabinet itself the way it kind of rang out with a slight "buzz" and happened only with certain male vocal frequencies...until stabilizing the XO magically made it go away.
          Or did you already try playing the woofers directly/alone?
          My first 2way build

Comment

Working...
          X