Veneer help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneer help please

I'm starting to plan out a Samba MT build for the living room, and I like the look of vertical grain wood veneer that wraps around the front baffle, as seen in the first review of the PE kit HERE. The Band-it veneer kits (likely going with walnut) are 24" wide, but the speaker itself would need at least 32" to maintain the vertical grain pattern, covering the baffle and both sides. Some forum searches aren't turning much up, and the links in the Sticky above regarding woodworking are mostly broken. Anyone have a link to anything that might point me in the right direction of joining 2 sheets of veneer in a cosmetically acceptable way? Thanks for any help.

You could use a vinyl wrap. They come in various widths, even 48 inches. The better ones, like 3M Di-Noc, are virtually indistinguishable from real wood.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Veneer is available in 4 ft wide sheets if you look. Try Ebay, that's where I buy mine.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        Veneer is available in 4 ft wide sheets if you look. Try Ebay, that's where I buy mine.
        Jackpot! Thanks djg

Comment

• djg
          djg commented
          Editing a comment
          I use PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive backed) veneer, but I've never tried it around a radius, so I won't recommend it for you.

I've used NBL veneer on a number of projects and it's supposed to be good down to a 3/4" radius. I use the iron on glue method and there are techniques for making seams when you need lengths longer than 48 inches. https://www.tapeease.com/nblwood.htm

My documents and photos from a recent project are too big for PE but this link should work and you can see the PDF of the project. https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discus...#Comment_28026

Ron
        C-Note Iron Driver Build
        The Lydias
        The Cherry π's
        The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
        My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

https://www.veneersupplies.com/ is a good source for veneer as well. They have big paper-backed sheets, some of which you can order with 3M peel and stick adhesive, which is handy if you done have a veneer press or much experience gluing on veneer.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveDoctor View Post
            Anyone have a link to anything that might point me in the right direction of joining 2 sheets of veneer in a cosmetically acceptable way...
            I use the follow method to join veneer. It works flawlessly every time!

1) Take the two pieces you want to join together and lay them face side up
            2) 'Fold' one piece over on top of the other so they are now laying face to face (like closing a book) with the edge you want to join now along one side.
            3) Take two straight edged pieces of timber/ply/steel bar (whatever) and clamp them down either side of the edge you are jointing so that a very small amount of that edge (from both pieces of veneer) is showing. Lay this down onto a bench.
            4) Take a sanding block (I like to use a long straight piece of timber or metal bar with sandpaper attached along one face) and lay this sandpaper edge against the exposed, clamped, edges of the veneer.
            5) Gently sand back and forth until the two veneer edges are perfectly flat, smooth and even with each other
            6) Un-clamp, fold them back out face up with the joining edges aligned and use pieces of painters tape, thumb down on one side of the joint, gently pull over to the other veneer piece and stick down, to join them together. The slight tug on the tape as you stick it down stretches it a little and forces the joint together. Add as much tape as you like - I generally then run a piece straight up and down the seam and the veneer is now ready to glue down when you're ready.

You can also use a plane instead of sandpaper - but in my experience, sanding works much better in that it limits the damage you can do. If the veneer is particularly splinter-y etc the plane can catch and tear it up. Sanding just eliminates these possibilities.

Here's a diagram of what I mean:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	VeneerEdgeTrim.png Views:	0 Size:	323.1 KB ID:	1483533
            Constructions: Dayton+SB 2-Way v1 | Dayton+SB 2-Way v2 | Fabios (SB Monitors)
            Refurbs: KLH 2 | Rega Ela Mk1

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilsonEq View Post
              https://www.veneersupplies.com/ is a good source for veneer as well. They have big paper-backed sheets, some of which you can order with 3M peel and stick adhesive, which is handy if you done have a veneer press or much experience gluing on veneer.
              ^^^^This

Their 3m peel n stick is idiot proof (Proven by the fact I successfully used it). Never used veneer before and had great results.

Comment

Working...
              X