Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for 6-channel active DSP crossover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for 6-channel active DSP crossover?

Looking for members' experiences and recommendations for 6-channel active DSP crossover, other than DCX2496 in which I am well versed.

I like direct control of crossover filter parameters, and some of the pro rack units are a little too "canned" for me.

Thanks.
    --

Philip Bamberg
    BambergAudio.com

Price range? My RCF DX-2006 is pretty darn good. They also make an 8 output version, the DX-4008. Both are 1U. I replaced a DCX2496 with the DX-2006, and I'm glad I did.

get_file (rcf.it)
    Francis

Comment

I've been using a BSS 9088iis. 8 in and out. It's fully configurable. The software presents you with literally an empty box with just ins and outs. It's up to you to configure everything. If you use the built-in crossovers they are completely independent for filter type and slope. You can even roll your own by feeding an input into a matrix splinter.

The one thing I don't like is the fan noise, it's got a 1 inch fan that's occasionally noticable.

Probably pick one up used on fleaBay for under 200 bucks

Comment

Acourate or Audiolense will allow this but it's PC only and not too easy to figure out. They are very powerful solutions, the crossovers if you so choose can use FIR filters and they also correct the room. The book Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP by Mitch Barnett will walk you through how to do it if you choose Acourate. You will need a card such as a Lynx AES16 and a pro 8-16 channel DAC.

Otherwise the MiniDSP DDRC-88A/D will do the job and is much easier.

Comment

Customer's budget is around $500.

Any comments on dbx driverack PA2?
          --

Philip Bamberg
          BambergAudio.com

Comment

• JRT
            JRT commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by PEB View Post
            Looking for members' experiences and recommendations for 6-channel active DSP crossover, other than DCX2496 in which I am well versed. I like direct control of crossover filter parameters, and some of the pro rack units are a little too "canned" for me.
            http://audio.claub.net/

Have you looked at this?

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...-Audio-230-500
          Thanks,
          Aaron

Comment

i kept hoping Dayton (or somebody) would make a modern successor to the DCX2496: 1U rack mount with balanced XLR I/Os, modern ADCs and DACs, decent depth DSP (like 40 bits), modern op-amps etc. It's a lot easier and cheaper now than when the DCX2496 came out. The DX-2006 is basically that, but few would call it cheap lol.
            Francis

Comment

• JRT
              JRT commented
              Editing a comment
              DCX2496 also included a digital input, implemented as an alternatative use of one of the balanced XLR analog inputs, compatible with 110 Ohm AES3 10V signal (could also accept the lower voltage signal of SPDIF), and included a sample rate converter.

• fpitas
              fpitas commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. Unfortunately, the DCX also doesn't sound real good lol. It needs updating, badly. Good for beginning DJs, I suppose.

Any comments on dbx driverack PA2?
            For regular DJ use it's probably just fine.
            Francis

Comment

Hi Phil,

There’s measurement of the dbx driverack on ASR; it doesn’t look too flash.

what about the minidsp 4x10HD?

Comment

Hi Phil,

There’s measurement of a dbx driverack on ASR; it doesn’t look too flash.

what about the minidsp 4x10HD?

Comment

If you can find it, ashly protea is very good. Ive used the driverack pa2 and venue 360 though the 360 is over the budget, it's the best I've used. Very, very good.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Another high-quality option is running something like JRiver on a PC, and feeding a USB multi-output DAC like a Steinberg UR824. Over your budget, but really flexible, and flawless SQ.
                    Francis

Comment

Is this DJ sort of stuff? Or are you looking for the best SQ?
                      Francis

Comment

Must be good SQ, but also powerful for XO filters and EQ.
                        Looks like the 4x10 has the lead.
                        --

Philip Bamberg
                        BambergAudio.com

Comment

• JRT
                          JRT commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What means of multichannel volume control in the system?

System will be HT / 2ch combo. 6ch XO used only for front pair of speakers in conjunction with 6ch amplifier.

When in HT mode, volume will be controlled by HT receiver. When in 2ch mode, same deal, OR volume could be controlled directly by the 6ch XO.
                        The miniDSP 4x10 would be a good choice in this case. Because it has additional inputs, plus remote control volume.
                        --

Philip Bamberg
                        BambergAudio.com

Comment

Working...
                        X