Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendation for 6-channel active DSP crossover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PEB View Post
    System will be HT / 2ch combo. 6ch XO used only for front pair of speakers in conjunction with 6ch amplifier.

When in HT mode, volume will be controlled by HT receiver. When in 2ch mode, same deal, OR volume could be controlled directly by the 6ch XO.
    The miniDSP 4x10 would be a good choice in this case. Because it has additional inputs, plus remote control volume.
    FWIW, I have the MiniDSP 2x4. A friend got the 2x8 kit (which is the same main board and DSP as 4x10). For SQ, I have to be a snob and advise you to steer clear. There is a lot of resolution and image lost, even with the "HD"-ness of the 2x8/4x10 (96k vs 48k sampling). We upgraded 2 channels worth of opamps and DC coupling capacitors with nice stuff - improvement, yes, but marginal improvement.
    I dropped MiniDSP like a hot potato. For sure, their flexibility and feature sets are fabulous.

I've also heard the Behringer and dBx driverack units. Also much lacking in SQ.
    The Dayton DSP-408 uses the same DSP (ADAU1701) as the MiniDSP 2x4 with the same built-in ADCs and DACs. So, there was no point in me trying that.

In fairness, I have NOT tried the MiniDSP 2x4HD. I assume the external AKM ADC/DAC CODEC (AK4626) is better than that integrated CODEC in the 2x8. But, the CS42528 CODEC in the 2x8 (4x10) board wasn't a huge improvement either. I got a bit jaded about MiniDSP after both of these units were so disappointing.

Now, I'm running balanced analog XO Xkitz boards now between my "subs" and upper 3ways (passive XOs). They sound fabulous. Admittedly, this current use case is MUCH simpler than a fully active 3 or 4 way setup. But, I did want to at least warn you of the less-than-great SQ from MiniDSP units. I originally was looking to do fully active DSP XO - but, in the end, SQ degradation was not worth it.

I do plan on using MiniDSP for XO experimentations, for sure. Really nice to be able to compare different networks and A/B things. But, for final integration, I definitely won't be using them.

P.S. I'm sure there are better sounding DSP options, and I'm definitely interested in exploring them, which is why I'm in the thread .

SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
    Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
    SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
    SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

Originally posted by PEB View Post
      System will be HT / 2ch combo. 6ch XO used only for front pair of speakers in conjunction with 6ch amplifier.

When in HT mode, volume will be controlled by HT receiver. When in 2ch mode, same deal, OR volume could be controlled directly by the 6ch XO.
      The miniDSP 4x10 would be a good choice in this case. Because it has additional inputs, plus remote control volume.
      If I understand this correctly, when in HT mode with any DSP XO only the stereo pair only, there will be an issue of the DSP processing delay vs. the standard HT speakers, roughly 1.2 to 2.5 msec for the mini-DSP from what I've read. If the HT receiver can add the same delay to the other speakers (center channel especially), no problem, but worth checking.

dlr
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
      X