next best thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next best thing

Hi I would love to be able to buy the Raal tweeters but they are very pricey. whats the next best thing?

For what?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
      Hi I would love to be able to buy the Raal tweeters but they are very pricey. whats the next best thing?
      Viawave ribbon tweeters are supposed to be very much like Raal. Also Rick Craig got some Raal clone tweeters off of AliExpress (I think).
      Sorry, don't know more.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I don't know about the Ali RAAL-clones, but Rick DID have the Bozhen CQ76 ribbons, and used them a lot. They cost less than half of the RAAL tweeters.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

buggers this is looking for a hi quality tweeter. Thanks donradick and Wolf for the suggestions. I don't know too much about them. Although I have heard of the viawave, not sure where I can purchase them

Not sure if I want to go AMT, Ribbon or Be dome. I will be building a WMTM, 10, 5, T, 5. I am hoping to get a good quality 5 to crossover around 3500-3750. Does that sound realistic fr a 5 inch driver. If I use a ribbon or AMT those have to be crossed over pretty high.

Comment

That allows the Airborne 7502 to be a possibility too.
            Wolf
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              That allows the Airborne 7502 to be a possibility too.
              Wolf
              Is the 7502 the same as RT-5002?
              If not where can you get the 7502?

Comment

Sorry, what a memory slip. 5002 is the correct number.
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Any good??

GRS PT6825-8 8" Planar Mid/Tweeter 8 Ohm

Comment

Oh and I almost forgot. I have a pair of Fountek Neo X 3.0 sitting unused. Are they a worthwhile comparison? Only asking as I have them and there is no added cost. If it is clear that the other tweets are better I will spend the money and get them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
                      Oh and I almost forgot. I have a pair of Fountek Neo X 3.0 sitting unused. Are they a worthwhile comparison? Only asking as I have them and there is no added cost. If it is clear that the other tweets are better I will spend the money and get them.
                      I reworked my mini-statements build and used a 3rd order crossover on the Neo X 3.0 ribbon, and it sounded great.
                      Let me see if I can find that crossover diagram.....

This is for a use in an MTM design. Depending on the efficiency of your mid, you may need to play with R1 and R2 resistors. IIRC, the tweeter response fluctuates a bit if you don't get them right. A measurement microphone is necessary for best results.
                      But I listen to this tweeter daily, and it has great clarity and power handling.

High Pass crossover about 3.8Khz - 4Khz or thereabouts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xsim-NeoCD-3.0-crossover-final-detail.PNG
Views:	311
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1483572
                      Last edited by donradick; 03-02-2022, 09:25 AM. Reason: added crossover diagram

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I have used several ribbon tweeters in the past. Most of them have been Aurum Cantus variants--including the G2, the G2si, and the G3. For a MTM configuration you need to consider the distance between the tweeter and the midrange drivers as well as the distance between the midranges. Both of these distances dictate the crossover frequencies that you can use between these drivers in this configuration. For a MTM I recommend a G2 for a crossover as low as 2000 Hz while a G2si would best be crossed above 2300 Hz.

Any consideration of a crossover above 3000 Hz for your MTM would be too high for the midrange drivers in my spacing IMO. I built an open baffle MTM with two 6.5" PHL Audio 1240 drivers that used the AC G2 which has a vertical dimension of 4.72". I crossed over with a 4th order L-R at 2000 Hz. You can notice the spacing on my MTM at:

https://midwestaudio.club/event-arch...gallery/page/2

I'm the guy presenting his open baffle MTM and H frame woofer speaker at the 2013 Midwest Audiofest. Click on that image for a better view.

If you check the Fountech Neo X 3, its height is 5.67" which is too large for the close spacing between the midranges that you need. Unless you can tolerate a crossover well below 2000 Hz IMO.

The B-G Neo 8 planar drivers you pictured above may be limited as their frequency response falls above 15 kHz. You could achieve a lower crossover point between the mids and tweeter with this driver (its 7.875" height is limiting to the mid to mid spacing though).

Comment

Jim Griffin reading into to what you say, would incorporating a good dome tweeter be easier as far as spacing is concerned? Or am I over thinking this. The dome usually allows a lower XO point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
                            I have used several ribbon tweeters in the past. Most of them have been Aurum Cantus variants--including the G2, the G2si, and the G3. For a MTM configuration you need to consider the distance between the tweeter and the midrange drivers as well as the distance between the midranges. Both of these distances dictate the crossover frequencies that you can use between these drivers in this configuration. For a MTM I recommend a G2 for a crossover as low as 2000 Hz while a G2si would best be crossed above 2300 Hz.

Any consideration of a crossover above 3000 Hz for your MTM would be too high for the midrange drivers in my spacing IMO. I built an open baffle MTM with two 6.5" PHL Audio 1240 drivers that used the AC G2 which has a vertical dimension of 4.72". I crossed over with a 4th order L-R at 2000 Hz. You can notice the spacing on my MTM at:

https://midwestaudio.club/event-arch...gallery/page/2

I'm the guy presenting his open baffle MTM and H frame woofer speaker at the 2013 Midwest Audiofest. Click on that image for a better view.

If you check the Fountech Neo X 3, its height is 5.67" which is too large for the close spacing between the midranges that you need. Unless you can tolerate a crossover well below 2000 Hz IMO.

The B-G Neo 8 planar drivers you pictured above may be limited as their frequency response falls above 15 kHz. You could achieve a lower crossover point between the mids and tweeter with this driver (its 7.875" height is limiting to the mid to mid spacing though).
                            Jim,

As you know, I have huge respect for your knowledge and sharing with the DIY community.
                            I used that Fountek Neo 3.0 in an MTM with 2 Tangband W4-1320 bamboo woofers.
                            I'm pretty sure that the critical spacing is from the center of the cone driver to the edge of the ribbon, but can accept that the C-to-C distance on the mids is important also.
                            Here is my "un-normalized" polar. Looks pretty good to me......
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	0-to-70-degrees-polar-1-24-octave-not-normalized.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1483620

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

donradick looks pretty good to me lol! So I dont care what I use but the MTM section will be either a 6T6 or 5T5. Now I know as the cone diameter gets smaller you MAY be able to crossover higher if the driver response can cover it. If I use the Fountek with the circuit you provided (TY) that is 3.8K or thereabouts that means I need a cone driver to get up that high....will a 5 inch do it? Then Im thinking it may sound anemic even though I am using subs and a 10 inch woofer in the bass box below it

Comment

Working...
                              X