suggestion for replacement tweeters for JBL 2800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion for replacement tweeters for JBL 2800

So, I've burnt out 2 tweeters so far in this speaker. It is a 1/2" titanium dome with a 90db sens. The crossover is 2500Hz. The woofer has been replaced with a much better VMPS legacy design. They are being used as my surround speakers and it's possible I may be putting more power in them that they can handle. The amp is rated at 160 watts RMS and I play it pretty loud sometimes.

I don't mind upgrading to a better tweeter. I see some Morels for sale for $40-$60 each. I'd replace both of course. I'm not a Golden Ear, but I am an audiophile. 61 yrs old as well with lots of concerts in my past. LOL

Any suggestions? I will use Audyssey MultiXT32 for room EQ, so a "perfect" match is not the most important thing. The cutout is 2" round. I'd prefer not to have to cut it bigger, but will if needed.

The (very high pitched) elephant in the room is the crossover, which was designed for the JBL tweeter. It may or may not work OK with some other tweeter. Simple on-axis measurements would allow you to tweak it, though. You may get lucky and it works ok, too.
    Francis

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
      billfitzmaurice commented
      Editing a comment
      The crossover may be the reason why he's blowing tweeters, if they lack sufficient slope. I never use less then 3rd order on high pass. That said, something is really wrong if the surrounds are blowing tweeters. On average surrounds will only see maybe 1/8th the power that mains do.

• fpitas
      fpitas commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, good point. Blowing surround tweeters does seem odd. If nothing else I'd think so much treble would blow your eardrums lol

I'll add, if you really need ear-bleeding amounts of treble (I'm not judging here), a 1/2" dome isn't a good choice. I'd go up to 1 1/8" etc. Beyond that, a compression driver and horn.
    Francis

Comment

I'll judge. To quote Pete Townshend: "Huh?" Or was that Beethoven?
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• fpitas
        fpitas commented
        Editing a comment
        I was lucky, I guess, that even in my youth my ears objected to loud noises, especially distorted ones. So no standing right next to the concert speakers as my eardrums bled...

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        What did Beethoven do after he died?

He decomposed.

• fpitas
        fpitas commented
        Editing a comment
        ****drumroll****
    Working...
    X