No announcement yet.

Paging Wolf, Sophomore tabletop radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Wolf, Sophomore tabletop radio?

My son needs to complete a project for his Freshman Intro to mechanics class (woodworking, mechanics or electrical), so he wanted do make something speaker related. Since I have had the components for a pair of Wolf's Sophomores sitting on the shelf, we decided to make a tabletop radio.

Our idea was something like this(not exactly to scale, but you will get the idea) The red lines show approximately where the internal dividers will be:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophomore radio dim.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1484238

I made the height a little shorter, 9" vs 10" because I thought the proportions looked a little better. If I did the math correctly, the internal volume will be the same.

The plan is to keep the same edge treatments on the baffle as the Sophomores, the lighter color wood would have a 3/4" roundover and the darker wood would have none.

My main question is the length of the port. Wolf's writeup calls for a 1.5" schedule 40 pvc pipe 4" long. Is that the total length of the port including the thickness of the baffle?

The originals were ported out the front, I was going to port out the sides.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Changing the baffle dimensions changes the off-axis and diffraction signature, as well as the port placement because it is on the front. Port is 4" long plus flares. The tweeter should NOT be equidistant to top and side as that will cause worse results than as it was originally. The Sophomores project was designed to yield the best results from baffle placement and edge treatment being the foremost considerations. The xover and box tuning came after that. You should also use 6.25oz of polyfil stuffing, which is a lot but required.

That said- I like the idea, and the layout of the Sophomores lends well to your application. I look forward to your progress.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I can make this work, if you think the changes would be worthwhile:

Name:	Sophomore radio.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1484248
      Height is back to 10" and driver and port layout would be the same as your original design.

Thanks again,

Richard

Comment

That looks great! The roundovers on mine are inverse arranged top vs bottom., FWIW. I don't think the front-to-back edges will matter that much. As you have them should be fine.
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

The first design looks so much nicer...

Comment

I drew up one side on a practice baffle, it looks like there is enough room for everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sophomore radio mock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	789.7 KB ID:	1484256

There is a half inch between the side of the port and the inner divider.

I don't think there was a flare on the inside of the port, please correct me if that is wrong.

Thanks,

Richard
            Last edited by Jakes_dad; 03-23-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Wolf
              Wolf commented
              Editing a comment
              No, there is no inside-end flare.

• Jakes_dad
              Jakes_dad commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Wolf. I think I have all of your original write-up, but maybe not all of the photos. I appreciate your help.

You *could* put some rubber feet/risers on the box and port out the bottom.
            This would clean up the face of the box AND reduce vibration transmitted distortion.

Just a thought . . .

Comment

• LOUT
              LOUT commented
              Editing a comment
              Would the feet need to be ~1" tall or taller to avoid effectively lengthening the 1.5"-diameter port, or could it safely get away with sitting lower?

Start with the specified 1.5" diameter pipe and experiment with shortening the 4" length and tune to taste.

Comment

Well this project spiraled out of control fast.

Name:	Sophomore.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	686.4 KB
ID:	1487226

More photos and maybe a build thread to follow.

Comment

Looks good!

Weird, but good.

Comment

• Jakes_dad
                  Jakes_dad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Yep, it's a bit weird, but that's OK weird suits me just fine.

Looks pretty well done to me! What was out of control?

How's it sound?
                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Nice. Throw it in the woody for a drunken beach party? (Joke)

Comment

• Jakes_dad
                    Jakes_dad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We live a long ways from the beach now, but I still wouldn't mind cruising around in an old surf wagon! So no beach parties, but I am sure it will be involved in a backyard party or two.

I like it! How does it sound?

Comment

• Jakes_dad
                    Jakes_dad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Now I wonder how good the Sophomores would sound as Wolf designed them and with a better amp.

• Wolf
                    Wolf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think a few quotes by people I respect are in order here, (as best as I can recollect)...

Dirk- "The best $100 speakers I've ever heard."
                    Scott Sehlin- "The Sophomores really don't look like much. Then you hear them and think they really are something great."
                    Andy Kriech- "they were a very good, small sized speaker that I would recommend to anyone needing a small speaker set up"
                    Tom Zarbo- "Seriously, Ben's Sophomores changed my life. I never heard sound like that coming from a cabinet that size."

Link to original writeup:
                    https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...homores-update

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  Looks pretty well done to me! What was out of control?

How's it sound?
                  Wolf
                  Thanks Wolf.

There was a lot of little details with this build, just the radio faceplate alone involved a couple of trips to the table saw, the chop saw, 2 different routers and several trips to the drill press, not to mention making a template to locate the holes in the proper location.

Name:	PXL_20220604_162502019-vert.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	755.4 KB
ID:	1487247

I have not had as much time to listen to it as I would have liked, but so far I am impressed with the sound especially when you consider it is less that $60 in drivers. I had high expectations for this design and it did not disappoint.

Thanks again for such a great design,

Richard

Comment

The finished product works very well, the bell mouth inlay is embedded into the edge of the walnut, which is very characteristic.
                    And I also compliment you on the robot speaker (your forum avatar) you gave to your child, after I showed it to my son, he asked me loudly when I would make one for him, and he shared the possession.

Comment

• Jakes_dad
                      Jakes_dad commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the compliments!

I am happy with the way the port flares came out, they do add some nice detail.

I am also thrilled that I was able to inspire you to make a robot speaker for your son, you made my day.

Thanks,

Richard
                  Working...
                  X