Pro Amp with DSP or Mini DSP for Subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Amp with DSP or Mini DSP for Subwoofer

Looking to start building a couple of subs. I was thinking about powering them with a Behringer NX3000. The question is whether to get the one with DSP, or get the non DSP model and get a MiniDSP 2x4 instead. It seems that the limited DSP on the amp would work, but would I be better off having more flexibility with the MiniDSP?

I have no idea what the cost difference is between the NX3000 amp w/ DSP vs the NX3000 w/o DSP plus the miniDSP unit. If similar cost I'd definitely go with the miniDSP option. That gives you lots of parametric EQ to apply not only to the sub channels but also the HP channels to apply to the mains for room correction and personal taste.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

I think the cost between the 2 is negligible. I had a feeling the MiniDSP would be a better route. Also, on another note, how realistic are the power ratings on the Behringer amps? I was assuming they are peak ratings not rms. It just seems like having the ability to run 2 subs for ~$300 plus DSP is a no brainer vs the much more expensive plate amps.

Comment

Behringer used to publish real RMS and peak power, now it's just peak. Figure real RMS power out of the NX3000 is about the same as an inuke 3000, about 625w RMS into 4 ohms

Comment

PE's Dayton Audio branded components seem to be a great bang for the buck. I don't knw enough about either to say which is better for a given application. The price point on their sub specific item seems low enough to almost to make it a necessity for any serious DIY'er. https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...roller-230-520

Here are some other options:
          https://www.parts-express.com/search...ywords=minidsp

I'd be interested in other's thoughts on this as well.
          Thanks,
          Aaron

Comment

IIRC, lots of folks say that the Crown Drivecore amps are more reliable and sound better than the Behringer amps.

https://www.parts-express.com/Crown-...-4-Ohm-245-507

I got one of those little sub DSP controllers for a future project, I've got a couple of beefy "regular" amps that I might use for subs.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I think if I go with an external DSP, I would like to try the MiniDSP. I am struggling with which model to get for a sub. Would you guys use the MiniDSP 2x4, or the MiniDSP 2x4HD? It seems like the standard model would work fine, but I have read some reviews about the input voltage not being sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny5jz View Post
                I think if I go with an external DSP, I would like to try the MiniDSP. I am struggling with which model to get for a sub. Would you guys use the MiniDSP 2x4, or the MiniDSP 2x4HD? It seems like the standard model would work fine, but I have read some reviews about the input voltage not being sufficient.
                Had the 2x4. low voltage and sounded like crap. IF I were to consider another MiniDSP, it would have to be the HD at a min. In one of my portable DJ rigs, I run an Inuke 1000DSP and 3000DSP. plenty of EQ and power to drive four 15s, four10s and a tweeter per side. I do run a 15band EQ for room tuning. I've tried the new units as well. Power looks to be the same but they look way better.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

If the HD model is needed, the amp with DSP is a much better deal. I am planning a bit of a subwoofer experiment project. I plan to buy a 12" sub and build 2 enclosures. One sealed and one ported. I want to see which works better in my room. I have it narrowed down to 3 subs that I have modeled and work well in vented and sealed configurations. Once I figure out what works best, I will build one more so that I have 2 subs to help with some of my room issues. I want something with DSP so that I can put some EQ on the sealed sub and a high pass on the ported to help with excursion below 20hz. If I was going to power something other than a sub I would for sure go with a Crown amp. For a sub though I feel like the Behringer would be fine. DSP only adds $100, so I think that may be the best route. I will start another thread on the sub choice/build. If anyone has anymore advice regarding DSP and amplification, it would be appreciated.

Comment

I went the route of getting a miniDSP 2x4 HD and a regular NX3000 (got a 220v version from across the pond and converted it to 120v) - because I have a 3rd sub that is powered by a plate amp and wanted to be able to time align/eq all 3 of my subs (the other 2 are on the NX3000). It works great. Plus I got the remote so I can use it to go from "regular" bass mode to "annoy the neighbors" mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X