MTM driver suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTM driver suggestions

This a continuation from a previous thread here. https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...ut-appreciated

I want to build a MTM topper. After much dialog it was decided that I should not go too large on the mids, a 5 inch mid felt like a good compromise. For the 5 in Mid I was thinking of Dayton RS125P? This would be crossed over at 300hz. If this is not a good driver please do make suggestions. I have flexibility in price and don’t mind spending more if the performance is definitely there.
    I also was thinking about tweeter choices such as dome vs AMT, I am not sure of what is better for this application so I am open to suggestion. I did hear the AMT on a Golden Ear Triton Reference and thought it sounded good so I was curious. There is also the potential use of existing NEO CD3 that I have sitting on the shelf. Another tweeter that has always interested me but is expensive is the SEAS Millennium tweeter. A mid that seems interesting is the SEAS H1571 curv cone driver but that may be too large. I did consider these with the Millennium tweeter with a lower XO point….ideas, thoughts?
    Thanks in advance….

The U18 is a phenomenal mid and midbass. Xover can be a single coil lowpass, and good to about 3.2kHz. Look up Maynard's Malbecs project.

RS125 is closer to a 4.5 " than a 5" woofer in terms of Sd. The frame is pretty big.

Millenium? Meh, try the new Titan out... Much cleaner and half the price.

Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      The U18 is a phenomenal mid and midbass. Xover can be a single coil lowpass, and good to about 3.2kHz. Look up Maynard's Malbecs project.

RS125 is closer to a 4.5 " than a 5" woofer in terms of Sd. The frame is pretty big.

Millenium? Meh, try the new Titan out... Much cleaner and half the price.

Wolf
      Is that the SEAS T27TAC tweeter?

Comment

Yes, 27TAC/GB.
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Wolf Im finding lots of references to wine but not to Maynard's speaker lol.

Comment

For the MTM mids either two SB12CAC25-08 in parallel or two SB12CAC25-04 in series. Either combo can easily cross to any decent AMT, ribbon, or planar. Since you are going to high pass them to woofers, no reason to use the larger SB15CAC drivers.
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            For the MTM mids either two SB12CAC25-08 in parallel or two SB12CAC25-04 in series. Either combo can easily cross to any decent AMT, ribbon, or planar. Since you are going to high pass them to woofers, no reason to use the larger SB15CAC drivers.
            i would like to maintain 8 ohm impedance where possible as I am using tube amps. just curious can I go 4,4,T,4,4?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
              i would like to maintain 8 ohm impedance where possible as I am using tube amps. just curious can I go 4,4,T,4,4?
              Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              Yes. The two 8 ohms in parallel will give you 4 ohms or the two 4 ohms in series will give you 8 ohms.

Comment

a4eaudio I was specifically concerned about the CTC distance if I go with 4 mids as opposed to 2 mids, does that complicate the acoustics? I understand the impedance

Comment

• a4eaudio
                  a4eaudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, I mis-read your post. I'm not sure there is much to be gained with 4 mids in this case, but I look forward to hearing from more knowledgeable people.

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
                a4eaudio I was specifically concerned about the CTC distance if I go with 4 mids as opposed to 2 mids, does that complicate the acoustics? I understand the impedance
                Slightly more complicated but not much of a worry as the wave fronts converge at normal listing distances. I'd measure at twice the distance between the centers of the outside mids or 1 meter.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I don't see a reason to use 4 mids. Just determine the proper baffle width and set the woofer to midrange crossover frequency so that the woofer(s) carry all the baffle step loss.
                  Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Just curious. So far I have suggestions from 4 inch to a 7 inch driver. Throwing this out there, how good (or bad lol) is the HiVi L6 4R?? That is a 4 ohm driver that if I connect the 2 in series I can get my 8 ohm (or 7.2 ohm) impeadnace

Comment

Yeah, no reason to dual the mids unless you want the dispersion pattern.
                      Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

OK so far it looks like the U18 woofer and the 27TAC/GB in MTM config. Since the U18 is 7 inches I should be using a faitly low XO point as to avoid beaming correct? thinking about 1900hz or 2khz

Comment

Working...
                        X