OT online scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT online scams

While researching sub- amps a site came up that sells women clothing but they had a dayton product at half retail.I will admit I learned the hard way years ago and I let P/E know about this. Hopefully they can persue these scammers

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
    While researching sub- amps a site came up that sells women clothing but they had a dayton product at half retail.I will admit I learned the hard way years ago and I let P/E know about this. Hopefully they can persue these scammers
    Good move, but they're probably overseas where enforcement is spotty at best.
    Francis

Comment

• fpitas
      fpitas commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll add, some of those "Too good to be true" sites are just gathering personal information. I'll let you guess what they do with it.

A scenario like that usually indicates a fake site, phishing for your personal information and credit card details. Before doing business at any site that isn't trusted plug the website address into this to see if it's real or fake: https://www.ip-tracker.org/
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Frankly, there are a lot of traps on the internet for the unwary. Some of the latest phishing attempts are pretty clever.
      Francis

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
        billfitzmaurice commented
        Editing a comment
        Lately there have been a lot of scam retail sites on youtube, all tracing back to a blacklisted server in Stockholm well known as a favorite of Russian hackers. They copy a real website, substituting prices averaging 90% off retail to draw in the unwary. It all looks like the real thing, because it is, with the exception of the pricing and the IP address.

On some random site on google I saw a good deal on some waveguides I'm looking at if I bought a pack of 4. The price wasn't silly low, but then I noticed they had Lab12 drivers for same price, so I immediately knew shenanigans were afoot. Then I noticed some things didn't belong on the page and everything on the page was some random amount hovering around $53 or something like that. Lab12 $54, pack of 4 generic tshirts, also $54! Pretty obvious, maybe that's intentional.

Comment

Working...
      X