Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djg
    Seasoned Veteran
    • May 2008

Now revealed, the real reason I did my nostalgia build of JR's 3 way. These Pit Vipers reminded me of the JBL L100Ts in my past. I have no use and no room for the Pit Vipers and the walnut veneer to make them look like the JBLs would be pricey. But I did consider the project.

The little monkey coffins provided a reasonably sized and priced trip down memory lane of even older vintage.

I hope to see someone's completed pair of these soon.

Comment

• 9sheng
      Been Around Awhile
      • Nov 2019

@Paul Carmody​, when I was selecting the divider parts, I found that there was no local (C2) 50uf capacitor, only 47uf, 56u and 68u for the time being. I want to say whether these three specifications are all OK? C2 If the capacitance of this capacitor slightly deviates, will it affect the whole?

At the end of your article, I said that please use a higher power resistor for a long time of high-power use. I found that only medium and high resistance circuits were used. The problem I encountered was that I could only find 30W resistance of 1 ohm and 10 ohm, but only 10W resistance of 4.7 ohm. My problem is that the power of the tweeter should be less than that of the midrange speaker. So I want to use a 30W resistor in the midrange circuit and a 10W resistor in the tweeter circuit. Can this scheme also meet the requirements of 10-20 hours of continuous playback.

thank you!​

Comment

• Wolf
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Sep 2005

Just parallel a 3uF with the 47uF to get 50uF, easy peasy.

Paul means in excess output levels, like 100dB or more. I think what you propose can work fine. If not, then use a series parallel arrangement of the 4.7 ohm with 4 resistors.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• 9sheng
          Been Around Awhile
          • Nov 2019

Hey, @Wolf​, thank you for your reply first. When I checked the manufacturer's capacitance specifications yesterday, I happened to think that using 3.3uf+47uf is a feasible solution. I spent some time on the resistance and found 1 ohm, 4.7 ohm and 10 ohm cement resistors of 30W. I think this power should be enough.

Now I attach the pictures of accessories used for your reference​

Click image for larger version  Name:	E60.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	1492967
          Click image for larger version  Name:	E62.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.9 KB ID:	1492968
          Click image for larger version  Name:	E63.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	1492969
          Click image for larger version  Name:	E61.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	1492970

These are the pictures of the merchants. The parts have not arrived on my desktop

Comment

• sonic_tooth
            • Nov 2022

I just received my parts order to build a pair of these last week. I think I am going to try to wrangle in some of the low end hype by adding extra insulation. I'm not sure what the trade off is by doing so. I'm going to be using these speakers as a secondary listening reference (I use Bagby RS180s for my primary/nearfields) for mixing and mastering work so I think a little bit less "party" might be better for my build. I will still do quite a bit of listening just for fun as well so I'm a bit torn. I guess its easy enough to adjust after the fact. Looking forward to hearing these!!!

Comment

• Serenitynow
              Been Around Awhile
              • Aug 2020

Originally posted by sonic_tooth
              I think I am going to try to wrangle in some of the low end hype by adding extra insulation.
              How does adding extra insulation alter the low end of these ? Extension, punch, volume, etc ?
              How much extra insulation is required and where should it be placed in the cabinet ?

Comment

• sam
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Serenitynow

How does adding extra insulation alter the low end of these ? Extension, punch, volume, etc ?
                How much extra insulation is required and where should it be placed in the cabinet ?
                Pauls says "It also uses a sheet of 4" thick roll-type insulation (eg: the pink stuff) along the back wall. It needs at least this much damping inside to tame the wide, gentle hump around 55 Hz."

Comment

• djg
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • May 2008

While looking at Wolf's updated Zinger kit, I. noticed that this design has also been "kitted".

Comment

• Lostthumb
                    • Oct 2013

I have just finished a set of the Pit Vipers. My father in law mentioned that he wanted to do a karaoke system at his house and I knew that the Bose 301 speakers that he has is not up to the task.
                    I stumbled upon this design and we decided to build a set for him for Christmas. Fired them up last night, oh lord, these rock! So fun. So surprised that I actually finished a project.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3251.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	1494288 ​ ​ ​
                    Attached Files

Comment

• joshshetter
                      Been Around Awhile
                      • Sep 2007

Them baffle edges though, R.I.P. tweeter response.

Comment

• davidroberts
                        Midrange Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Lostthumb
                        I have just finished a set of the Pit Vipers. My father in law mentioned that he wanted to do a karaoke system at his house and I knew that the Bose 301 speakers that he has is not up to the task.
                        You wouldn't happen to be out of Houston would you? Only known one person that went by "LostThumb".

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Nov 2006

Yes!! Great job! Hope you have them a hearty break in.

Clever use of the slot port. I predict we may get questions about that down the road.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Marclin
                            • Jan 2023

Hello...Just wondering if anyone has built these as sealed enclosure yet, and if so, thoughts?

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                              Obsessed & Proud of It
                              • Sep 2005

EXtremely GENERALLY speaking, just halve the box volume (by halving the interior depth) and forego the port.
                              You'll lose exactly one octave of bottom end bass.

Comment

• marvin
                                marvin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                ....just like pipe organ pipes, Chris? I knew twice the pipe length lowers the tone frequency (note) by one octave, but never related that to speaker enclosure volume. Makes sense.

• Marclin
                                Marclin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thank you...I'm a neophyte at this, so will try and follow the original design if I go ahead...cheers.

• a4eaudio
                                a4eaudio commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Marclin - I'd definitely build it as designed. The design goal here is classic BIG box and BIG bass! Building a smaller sealed box your missing out on the primary design goal. IF the big box doesn't work for you due to listening space or some other reason, there are plenty of other designs out there.
                            • Chris Roemer
                              Obsessed & Proud of It
                              • Sep 2005

So, pretty sure NOT just like organ pipes ...
                              just based on my millionth box model (just yesterday, actually). - (No, not really - I don't think?)

Comment

Working...