Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, Lunchmoney's crushing it over there. And yes, I think some sort of dowel "matrix" kinda thing would be the perfect solution for this project. For those who don't do a removable baffle--which I imagine is most people--this would be the way to go.

  • djg
    replied
    I lifted this from Lunchmoney's Speedster thread. He has the dowels going through the panels, but one could do front to rear braces between the panels at the woofer mount points, and use long wood screws to both mount the woofer and secure the baffle. That should settle things down.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	speedster brace.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1486838

    Leave a comment:


  • Serenitynow
    replied
    Hey Paul,
    Any further progress on this project ?

    Leave a comment:


  • davidroberts
    replied
    Why not use 3-4 window braces that can be glued to all four panels, three with screws if you want the front baffle removable. You could cut them just shy of the depth for the front baffle and screw them in.

    Leave a comment:


  • Serenitynow
    replied
    Hey. Yeah. That explained it much better than I did. I could picture it I'm my head, but had trouble conveying the idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • a4eaudio
    commented on 's reply
    I'd be hesitant to just wedge them in. A modified version of the above...use 4 to 6 one-inch dowels. Using a 1" forstner bit drill a hole about 1/4" deep into the back side of the front baffle, glue (clamp if possible) - they are now a permanent part of the baffle. Make them to 1/32" to 1/16" of the cabinet depth and screw them in from the back.

  • Serenitynow
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Despite adding internal bracing, I think the one panel I've neglected is the front baffle.

    In the past I used to just default to double-thick baffle with woofers 8" or larger. But with this particular design I have been making a conscious effort to keep weight down as much as possible. So far, it's a plain rectangular prism, about 70-ish Liters internal volume, using .75" stock all around; about as simple as I can make it.

    But that baffle has a lot of holes in it; and I feel like the 12" woofer is playing it like a piano sound board. Don't get me wrong, I think what I've got here so far sounds pretty darn good and isn't ringing nearly as bad as it used to. But I can't help but think that I won't really know if I've done everything I could, unless I dampen or reinforce the baffle somehow.
    Can't you just run a few strips of scrap between the front baffle and rear wall ?
    Even if the front baffle is removable, just attach the strips to the insude of it and let them wedge against the rear wall. Maybe cut them 1/8" or so longer than the actual distance.
    Put some gasket tape or weatherstripping between the baffle frame and baffle to help decouple and seal them as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Carmody
    replied
    Despite adding internal bracing, I think the one panel I've neglected is the front baffle.

    In the past I used to just default to double-thick baffle with woofers 8" or larger. But with this particular design I have been making a conscious effort to keep weight down as much as possible. So far, it's a plain rectangular prism, about 70-ish Liters internal volume, using .75" stock all around; about as simple as I can make it.

    But that baffle has a lot of holes in it; and I feel like the 12" woofer is playing it like a piano sound board. Don't get me wrong, I think what I've got here so far sounds pretty darn good and isn't ringing nearly as bad as it used to. But I can't help but think that I won't really know if I've done everything I could, unless I dampen or reinforce the baffle somehow.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    That's a level of patience I'm not sure I possess.

  • Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    You're correct. I was surprised how much it helped cut down on the vibrations. When you think about it, it's essentially battens that are 1/2 glued and 1/2 mechanically fixed.

  • bassman_soundking
    replied
    The framing for the removable baffle should help with cabinet rigidity a little

    Leave a comment:


  • buggers
    replied
    I prefer every 4 inches. YMMV

    Leave a comment:


  • bassman_soundking
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

    Correct. And I'm really happy with it in this application. Also, I just noticed that it's seems to be another casualty of slow supply chain. Hopefully more come in stock sooner than later!
    I have never done removable baffles on prior speakers, but I plan to on a current build.
    I just dont know how many screws ( bolts?) to use or proper spacing to keep it from leaking or vibrating.

    Leave a comment:


  • bassman_soundking
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

    Correct. And I'm really happy with it in this application. Also, I just noticed that it's seems to be another casualty of slow supply chain. Hopefully more come in stock sooner than later!
    Even xo parts seem to be in short supply right now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by bassman_soundking View Post

    It looks like the Peerless D27TG35-06
    Correct. And I'm really happy with it in this application. Also, I just noticed that it's seems to be another casualty of slow supply chain. Hopefully more come in stock sooner than later!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X