Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fpitas
    replied
    I'm a big speaker fan. Mine are constructed with four modules, and look more like alien robots than monkey boxes I've heard a lot of small speakers I like, but larger speakers (when done well) just sound better to me. I'm sure it depends on a host of factors like the room etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    2-1/2 cu.ft. or so? About 34"h x 14 x 12? ?

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    Although I can't fit such a loud speaker in my room, I'm still happy to see it. Keep an eye on the progress

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied
    Wow!…..I’m sure you’re voicing will squeeze the most out of those drivers. Always appreciate your focus on budget with your designs!

Leave a comment:

• invaderzim
    replied
    Personally, I think those look great. I have nowhere to put more speakers and yet I really want to build a set (those and the mentioned zingers). I'm getting to old to try to store them in the attic.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Originally posted by Serenitynow View Post

Isn't this the larger version of the 8" you used in the Zingers ?
    It is indeed

Leave a comment:

• Carbon13
    replied
    Awesome project! Love me some monkey coffins

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    I was thinking that was the SD-DVC12, and it seems that many coffins have used the DVC models to big success.
    Scott used the 10 in the Indium7, and it was great too.
    Darren used the 12 x2 in the old MCL.

Wolf
    Isn't this the larger version of the 8" you used in the Zingers ?

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I was thinking that was the SD-DVC12, and it seems that many coffins have used the DVC models to big success.
    Scott used the 10 in the Indium7, and it was great too.
    Darren used the 12 x2 in the old MCL.

Wolf

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Close. It's the Dayton SD315A-88. So yeah, this is more of a "4 Ohm" speaker. Honestly, though, a lot of what's sold at the retail level as "8 Ohm" is actually much lower than that. (If they can cheat, why can't I?)

As usual, I take as much precaution as I can to make sure the speaker will play well with the widest variety of amps possible. So far I haven't sent any of my amps into protect mode. I suppose when I get close to the end, I can try it on some really sh**y amps and see what happens.
    The SD315-88 is actually a really nice woofer/subwoofer. Good power handling, decent sensitivity, and a really good FR. Ive used it a few times myself and will use it again soon.

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    How do these compare to The Tarkus speakers ?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! The FR on that SB midrange is phenomenal!! I think if I was aiming a bit more upmarket in price that thing would have been a fantastic fit.

I'm trying to keep this guy in the quasi-budget speaker range--although it's a bit hard finding a decent "budget" 12" woofer. Hence, the woofer I used here is by far the most expensive component.

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    That must be the Designer Series 12 inch woofer based on the cone and the five mounting screws. With that DC130-4 as the mid how will you keep the minimum impedance above an exceptable value through the midbass/midrange area?
    Close. It's the Dayton SD315A-88. So yeah, this is more of a "4 Ohm" speaker. Honestly, though, a lot of what's sold at the retail level as "8 Ohm" is actually much lower than that. (If they can cheat, why can't I?)

As usual, I take as much precaution as I can to make sure the speaker will play well with the widest variety of amps possible. So far I haven't sent any of my amps into protect mode. I suppose when I get close to the end, I can try it on some really sh**y amps and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    That must be the Designer Series 12 inch woofer based on the cone and the five mounting screws. With that DC130-4 as the mid how will you keep the minimum impedance above an exceptable value through the midbass/midrange area?

Leave a comment:

• joshshetter
    replied
    This is exactly what I've been wanting to build. Keeping a keen eye on these.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X