Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by beenzapped68 View Post
    Afternoon Paul,
    I have to ask...
    How does the Pit Viper compare to the Tarkus?
    Seems like it would be similar in voice.
    I am thinking of using my Tarkus for surrounds and the Pit Vipers for my mains.
    What are your thoughts?
    I knew this question would come sooner or later, so i've been giving it some thought.

Now, keep in mind that the Tarkus live hundreds of miles away from me, and I only get to hear them once or twice a year. But with that said, I feel like the Pit Vipers are just "more-ish" of everything. Like, you know when a photo has HDR boosted? That's what the Pit Vipers sound like to me. Like, nothing is "subtle" about the Pit Vipers. Imaging is almost exaggerated. Bass is almost exaggerated. Treble... well, I never exaggerate treble... treble is very well-behaved on both designs.

According to the simulations, the Pit Vipers WILL go louder... the 12" Dayton DVC in the Pit Vipers just has more xmax than the 10" Peerless in the Tarkus.

Both designs are still after the same sort of vibe, though. They're for studio-produced music. Rock, Hip Hop, Metal, R&B, EDM, etc. The Pit Vipers are just a bit more ostentatious.

It's funny, I was having lunch the other day with a friend of mine from college. He's a professional guitar player. He doesn't really know much about speakers, but he asked me, "What did you think of the speakers they had in XXXX* studio?" (*a studio we both had recorded in many years ago) And I'm like, "Of course they sounded great!" And that's when it hit me that THAT was the sound I've been chasing all these years. That massive, articulate excitement you get when you're hearing your mix in a studio on big mains monitors. It's like, everything just sounds so huge, yet clear. You can hear all the little nuances you put in the recording. I want people to feel that same sense of excitement the people in the studio get when they hear the mix.

Does that mean that I'm aiming for ruler-flat FR and perfect polar plots like one might get in true studio mains? No. Your living room ISN'T a recording studio, so it doesn't have all that fancy room treatment and geometry that studios get. So in essence my speakers are like a simulation of that experience. It's a holodeck

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    18mm is essentially the same as 3/4" stock, correct? Because that's what I used.

• Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    Cool! I really like the bracing you did in the back.

• beenzapped68
    replied
    Whoa,
    Moving up to Gorilla coffins!
    Looks like you will have big sound too.
    Start a build thread please.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Wesley H
    replied
    I'm working on a similar project, big old-school box, also inspired by the JBL L100 (but very different). It's 4-way and I was originally going to go active between the SW and upper end but decided to go full 4-way active. I'm using the following drivers, all independently sealed.

RSS390HF­4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm
    RS225­4 8" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
    RS125T­8 5" Reference Woofer Truncated Frame 8 Ohm
    RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm

I started on the cabinets last summer and am pulling them back out to start up again. Here are a couple pics from my previous work on them:

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    I don't mind giving advice but this is Paul C.'s design. Read back in this thread and follow his advice on what's an acceptable substitute. I believe he clearly addressed this. He forgot more today than I know about XO design. I just have experience following plans, schematics and instructions. Good luck.
    Last edited by djg; 07-07-2022, 06:56 PM.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Thanks djg.
    I guess I'll go with this and the 5.0 mH air core inductor then.
    It should work out fine then correct ?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. NPEs are a cost saving measure. All of the NPEs can be poly caps if you wish. Large poly caps get expensive.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220706-161717_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	1488107
    Can this be used for C3 in the crossover instead of the Electrolytic Non-Polarized Cap ?

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    @Paul Carmody I would like to confirm, how thick are the cabinet boards you are using?
    I feel like 18mm will look thin.
    The second is how much filling is needed inside the box? Is it possible to cover the whole thing?

Leave a comment:

• beenzapped68
    replied
    Afternoon Paul,
    I have to ask...
    How does the Pit Viper compare to the Tarkus?
    Seems like it would be similar in voice.
    I am thinking of using my Tarkus for surrounds and the Pit Vipers for my mains.
    What are your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    I can't wait to see these and hear what you think. I've been dragging my feet on a pair of Vortex15 speakers, but I saw this and really love the design and the price range. Summer has been very busy, and it's motorcycle season, so here's to living vicariously! Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    That looks like it. .49DCR

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, good plan.

And that would make it easier to biamp your pit vipers with this terminal cup.

https://www.parts-express.com/Bi-Amp...g-Post-260-281

• Serenitynow
    replied
    This appears from the part number to be the same as what is back-ordered on PE.
    Can anyone verify ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X