Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    I don't mind giving advice but this is Paul C.'s design. Read back in this thread and follow his advice on what's an acceptable substitute. I believe he clearly addressed this. He forgot more today than I know about XO design. I just have experience following plans, schematics and instructions. Good luck.
    Last edited by djg; 07-07-2022, 07:56 PM.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Thanks djg.
    I guess I'll go with this and the 5.0 mH air core inductor then.
    It should work out fine then correct ?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. NPEs are a cost saving measure. All of the NPEs can be poly caps if you wish. Large poly caps get expensive.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220706-161717_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	1488107
    Can this be used for C3 in the crossover instead of the Electrolytic Non-Polarized Cap ?

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    @Paul Carmody I would like to confirm, how thick are the cabinet boards you are using?
    I feel like 18mm will look thin.
    The second is how much filling is needed inside the box? Is it possible to cover the whole thing?

Leave a comment:

• beenzapped68
    replied
    Afternoon Paul,
    I have to ask...
    How does the Pit Viper compare to the Tarkus?
    Seems like it would be similar in voice.
    I am thinking of using my Tarkus for surrounds and the Pit Vipers for my mains.
    What are your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    I can't wait to see these and hear what you think. I've been dragging my feet on a pair of Vortex15 speakers, but I saw this and really love the design and the price range. Summer has been very busy, and it's motorcycle season, so here's to living vicariously! Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    That looks like it. .49DCR

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, good plan.

And that would make it easier to biamp your pit vipers with this terminal cup.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    This appears from the part number to be the same as what is back-ordered on PE.
    Can anyone verify ?

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    I would make 3 separate crossover boards given the room available, one for each driver. Leads to less confusion if you're new to crossovers. No condescension, I would do 3 boards myself. More coil separation possible.
    I actually had considered that.
    I guess I could mount the woofer board on the bottom of the enclosure and the mid and tweeter boards on the window pane braces closest to those drivers.
    Does that sound logical ?

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    I would make 3 separate crossover boards given the room available, one for each driver. Leads to less confusion if you're new to crossovers. No condescension, I would do 3 boards myself. More coil separation possible.

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Paul Carmody

Hi again. Well, I've gotten in everything except the L4 inductor and a couple other odds and ends for these.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your crossover board layout. I'm wanting to organize this correctly.
    Thanks again for everything you do for us !

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    Any one of those 3 is totally fine.

As I said earlier, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's OK to use an air core 5 mH coil, even if its DCR is slightly above 1. It'll work out, and you'll like it :-)

• Paul K.
    commented on 's reply
    FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to use No. 1. There's nothing wrong IMO with using a steel laminate inductor regarding sound quality, especially in a woofer crossover, and it's sure less expensive. In my Post #101 in this thread, the response for the modeling I did of the Pit Vipers had 0.5 ohms added in series with the woofer to represent the resistance of a series crossover inductor, which is almost identical to the d.c. resistance for your No. 1 inductor candidate. Nevertheless, the Pit Vipers is Paul C's design, not mine.
    Paul
Working...
X