Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing: The Pit Vipers (Ooh Yeah!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djg
    replied
    The point of the inset baffle was to work with a grill. Generally a piece of 1/8" hardboard with holes for the drivers, covered with grill cloth. Or a grill cloth covered frame. None of that is particularly good for the sound. Recessed flush mount drivers on a baffle with rounded edges is today's style and considered better for the sound.

Going retro is a style consideration you can choose knowing it's not optimum.

Thought I'd mention that before someone else did.

Leave a comment:

• invaderzim
    commented on 's reply
    I think the design of djg’s zingers would look great on these

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Vintage grill cloth is available on Ebay.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Ya know, the more I look at these Pit Vipers, the more they remind me of the early '90s Advent, JBL and Infinity speakers. I always loved the sound and looks of those.
    I think I'll try to model the appearance of mine after those

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    commented on 's reply
    Paul, Why can't I not read your signature line in every post!?! Somehow my eye is attracted to it even though it reads the same every time! Aarrrgh!

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...-zinger-design

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    This is a retro treatment of Wolf's Zinger design. The woofer was surface mounted since it overlapped the tweeter flange. Same series Dayton DVC sub as in the Pit vipers, 8". The driver looks fine surface mounted and sticks out less than 1/8". The Dayton DC series mid on the Pit Viper definitely looks bad surface mounted.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_80591.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	1487667
    Great job on those. Yes that's the sort of "inset" look I was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. I bought some PE black grille foam but never got around to installing it.

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    This is a retro treatment of Wolf's Zinger design. The woofer was surface mounted since it overlapped the tweeter flange. Same series Dayton DVC sub as in the Pit vipers, 8". The driver looks fine surface mounted and sticks out less than 1/8". The Dayton DC series mid on the Pit Viper definitely looks bad surface mounted.

Click image for larger version Name:	image_80591.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	1487667
    Nice looking speakers there !

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_80591.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	1487667

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    Ok. Great. Thanks again Paul

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Originally posted by Serenitynow View Post
    A couple more observations/questions:
    It's hard to tell from the picture, are the drivers surface or flush mounted ?
    Would a roundover on the baffle edges provide any benefits?
    I flush mounted the drivers, and would recommend that to anyone who builds it.

As for a roundover, there's no reason not to. However I also figured some guys might even go with the really vintage look of having the baffle inset. So really I'm gonna say whatever you do on the baffle is gonna be up to your personal aesthetic taste.

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    A couple more observations/questions:
    It's hard to tell from the picture, are the drivers surface or flush mounted ?
    Would a roundover on the baffle edges provide any benefits?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    commented on 's reply
    Paul K's numbers are spot on

• Paul K.
    commented on 's reply
    I did model what Paul C. built and documented. The 2.83v/1m sensitivity came out to ~93 dB SPL, but that did not include baffle step compensation, so the final sensitivity should be about 89-90 dB SPL I'm estimating. My modeling also showed Paul C's intentions in that around 150 Hz, the output starts rising as frequency decreases, ending up almost 3 dB higher at 50 Hz or so. Paul C. did state after I sent him these modeling results that they were pretty much what he got.
    Paul K.
Working...
X