I would be bombarding this forum with builds.🤔

Leave a comment:

• Serenitynow
    replied
    This is why I cut EVERYTHING on the CNC

Leave a comment:

• bassman_soundking
    replied
    Non-equidistant spacing sounds like a good idea for the same reason not to build a cube shaped enclosure!

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    Staggering the brace spacing a bit is best.

• fpitas
    commented on 's reply
    At times I've found that, in addition to wall-to-opposite-wall bracing, an additional brace from there to a box corner makes a big difference in the knock test.

• bassman_soundking
    replied
    Yeah it would be nice to do it, but I havent the skill.
    Double walls and regular bracing are as far as I have gone

Leave a comment:

• djg
    commented on 's reply
    IMO, trying to emulate CNC bracing with hand tools is noble but misguided. But, that's just my opinion.

• billfitzmaurice
    commented on 's reply
    Dowels every 8 inches should suffice.

• bassman_soundking
    replied
    You can do dowels or window braces.
    If you look at Parts Express Knock-down sub enclosures. they have an elaborate bracing scheme.
    Im not up to the task of reproducing those with my current tool though.

Leave a comment:

• Thephantompsychic
    replied
    Bill,
    Seeing as I haven't added any polyfill or the like, this makes sense to me and these internal reflections are very audible. Thank you for confirming this.

Bassman,
    As it stands, my box is 15"W×28"H×13"D. It is very much not a cube as it stands. I am however, bad at bracing.

If either of you could give some bracing tips, that'd be appreciated. I use the "dowel every 8 inches" method but I don't know if there's a "scientifically best" method or anything.

Leave a comment:

• bassman_soundking
    replied
    The best I can suggest is no equal length walls, or double of another wall.
    An example would be 15"x19"x21" external to get around 75L net after driver and bracing.
    Probably a dumb shape, but just saying a cube can be a bad shape.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    You don't have standing waves of consequence in a box that small. CLD does nothing to tame what you do have, which is internal reflections. That's the job of damping, with foam, polyfill, felt carpet underlayment, Type 700 fiberglass, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Thephantompsychic
    started a topic Standing waves in my subwoofer box

Standing waves in my subwoofer box

My box I'm testing rn is 75L. It is braced (as well as I could I think) and has CLD green glue damping for most of the walls (because eh, why not?) I calculated a standing wave at 140hz with VituixCad's standing waves calculator. I also have quite a bit of resonance at around 190hz too.

My question is this, I know that acoustic foam or acoustic insulation is really good for deadening standing waves in a speaker box, but are standing waves affected by damping at all? Like is my CLD damping supposed to have affected the standing wave? Or is that fixed by adding acoustic foam/insulation?
Working...
X