Music lives in the midrange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music lives in the midrange

Ive decided that I want to try the best sounding midrange I can find. what is the best sounding midrange you've worked with or heard....
    edit: my current mid is a peerless 830883 6 1/2 mid. hope to upgrade from this
    Last edited by jimbones; 05-14-2022, 07:26 PM. Reason: adding my current driver

I like a mid that can cover 400hz to 2.5k. Others may prefer a mid that can go to 5k, but they will likely be smaller, and may have trouble below 500hz or so. Lots of compromises. One driver I used is the 5.25" Peerless 830991 HDS midbass. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf It has a glass fiber cone. It's my favorite based on limited exposure to other drivers. I'm currently using them in a 2-way + sub arrangement.
    Last edited by rpb; 05-14-2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I'd like to try this Dayton driver. https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...-8-Ohm-295-359

Comment

I should mention I am currently using the Peerless 830883 6.5 midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post
          I should mention I am currently using the Peerless 830883 6.5 midrange.
          I;ve used this similar driver as a mid. It looks to measure better than your current 6.5", but it's close. https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...spec-sheet.pdf

Comment

Don't hold me to it, but seems like I saw comments gushing over the 10f as a mid. Ask CraigK (spelling??? )

Comment

• Wolf
              Wolf commented
              Editing a comment
              I honestly cannot fathom why. I dont care for it.

U18 will be better than the 830883. Yes, HDS glass fiber 830991 mids are great, but they are going MOQ and may be unavailable.

Honestly, the best low HD mid I've come across and used is the Morel TSCW636; very low HD.
            The 830991, 15W/8530K00, and W4-1798s were also very good.

If you have a special angle or sound you want, more info should be given. If you want clinical or extreme detail, Accuton is an option. They have a very delicate presentation. A clse approximate could be the SB ceramic 5", and they sound great too.

It really depends on your objectives.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• jimbones
              jimbones commented
              Editing a comment
              I might consider the U16 over the U18 since it will be used as a mid in a 3 way

There ain’t nothing wrong with 830883, you’ll have to spend big bucks to really out-do it. Best to move up to a 3-way , my favourite midrange to date I’d say is Wavecor WF120BD03/04.
            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• jimbones
              jimbones commented
              Editing a comment
              yes I am looking to use the mid as part of a 3 way system

• Wolf
              Wolf commented
              Editing a comment
              Never said there was anything wrong with it. Just stated my opinion having heard both. I prefer the U18, and know he was interested in them for this build prior. Maynard's Malbecs were just incredible, used the U18 as a mid, and really impressed me. I've heard the 830833 several times also, and while it was good, it did not have the finesse the U18 possesses. My 2c.

• dcibel
              dcibel commented
              Editing a comment
              My comment was directed at Jim.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            U18 will be better than the 830883. Yes, HDS glass fiber 830991 mids are great, but they are going MOQ and may be unavailable.

Honestly, the best low HD mid I've come across and used is the Morel TSCW636; very low HD.
            The 830991, 15W/8530K00, and W4-1798s were also very good.

If you have a special angle or sound you want, more info should be given. If you want clinical or extreme detail, Accuton is an option. They have a very delicate presentation. A clse approximate could be the SB ceramic 5", and they sound great too.

It really depends on your objectives.
            Wolf
            No Accuton for me too clinical and hyper detailed. I could use something a bit more forgiving. I wouldn't go as far as a poly cone I find them to be thick and wooly sounding. My other speakers use Satori drivers MW16P they are fairly detailed not too forgiving.

Comment

So far the best mid range drivers I have used are Satori MR16P and the SATORI 6" MW16TX. The MR16P sounds more "organic" and warmer whereas the MW16TX sounds really clean, clear and detail. Personally I slightly prefer the MW16TX more than the MR16P and you will not go wrong with either one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbones View Post

No Accuton for me too clinical and hyper detailed. I could use something a bit more forgiving. I wouldn't go as far as a poly cone I find them to be thick and wooly sounding. My other speakers use Satori drivers MW16P they are fairly detailed not too forgiving.
                I would not describe the Curv cone drivers as thick and def not wooly sounding. They are light, agile, and extremely smooth.

I would recommend a well damped woven cone if this is what you are after. Carbon fiber, coated glass fiber, Curv, RohaCell, etc. Stay away from Kevlar, aluminum/metal, and stiff paper as they have attributes you dislike. Now, it could be such a thing that the breakup of the previous projects was not attenuated strongly enough to make you happy. Remember -25dB is minimum, -40dB is good, and -50dB is gone. If it's harsh program material, like hard rock/metal that is your preference, then a minor BBC dip from 1-3dB from 1-4k can work wonders. I'm usually the flat is best pusher, and even like a lot of hard music. Some people are just more sensitive than others.

Later,
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• jimbones
                  jimbones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not up to date on Poly. The last poly I used was in the early 1990's lol It was the Dynaudio 17W75's. Im sure the stuff today is better, right?

My buddy has a pair of U18 used I can get at a discount or I could get a pair of U16 smaller dia version. Then there is the value leader 830991 which is inexpensive but how does it compare?

Comment

Those are all sideways moves or a step down if you ask me. Aim higher.
                  I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

As i suspected, 830991 is now MOQ:
                    https://www.parts-express.com/Peerle...oofer-264-1074

The Curv cone is a uniquely woven and bonded (melted/heated) lattice polypropylene cone. It resembles carbon fiber in a way, and improved the stiffness compared to the older style units like Dynaudio. CSS had the little 4.5 used in the Triton kit made from it, Seas has the Linkwitz drivers for the LX521 made from it in 3" and 8", and the U16/U18 models. I'm still surprised Morel and Dyn have not ventured to this material to reap the benefits.

Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

My favorite midrange drivers that I have owned are:

Dayton PM220
                      Visaton W130S
                      Eclipse W6520R

I tend to like paper cones and I generally choose smoothness over detail. I've listened these three extensively by themselves and they were all good. If I had to pick one, it would probably be the Eclipse.

If you can afford it, don't pinch pennies on your midrange driver. The one that YOU really want will probably be less expensive in the long run.

Comment

• jimbones
                        jimbones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I consider all of the ones you mention inexpensive. I will look at the eclipse

• Billet
                        Billet commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, they are mostly inexpensive drivers. The PM220 is not cheap to me and is very nice, especially in the lower midrange. I have been very happy with the Eclipse, it has a clean and natural sound and has survived a year in my main speakers with no current upgrade plans. If I was moving up, I might be looking at Morel or possibly Eton.
                    Working...
                    X