Advice on tweeter/woofer pairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on tweeter/woofer pairing

Hi all, I've been looking at my available space to update the sharp boombox, I think the DA TCP115

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...-4-Ohm-295-415

but the tweeter is being difficult, what's the groups thoughts on these little things from tangband and has anyone got a.x.over with this pairing already?

https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-B...r-Pair-264-841

I was really leaning toward the dwane brown Dayton 4's but don't think I can get the tweeter in the current hole.

TB doesn't have an impedance plot for those making XO work difficult (although I've simulated it).
    Are the "frameless" domes from Peerless too expen$ive ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      TB doesn't have an impedance plot for those making XO work difficult (although I've simulated it).
      I think I only have 20mm diameter.to play with and I think the ones you mention are 30ish-mm. I'm trying to use fhd housing available but maybe it flares out. I'll try and drill out the existing tweeters (or remove.them less agressively)

Comment

How did you sim it? I had a google for anything to help and there isnt anything available that i could find, which is weird considering how long they have been around for.

Comment

I don't know If.i have a dilemma, if I grab those tang bands they have to go out of that slot, if I do up a housing to fit the bigger tweeter would.it be restricted in how it would sound due to the opening?

I either have to fix the tweeter or find a 4inch full range
          Attached Files

Comment

Dayton CX120-8 coaxial? My answer for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Dayton CX120-8 coaxial? My answer for everything.
              interesting, i havent used a coaxial since the 90's in my car, anything i need to be warry of if i get them? sounds like a good idea and an easy fit potentially but not sure will it go as low as some of the other FR \ Mid bass eqivalents?

edit: sorry i got confused with a 2 way, reading some reviews it sounds like you need to work out a cross over for these?

Comment

• 3rutu5
                3rutu5 commented
                Editing a comment
                im not getting any notifications when you guys post, sort of sucks... I think i'd go a ported option what ever i go and having the combined tweeter/woofer looks like a good option. Just need to model it to so what i would get performance wise in relation to the available space, still havent run the numbers. i guess another option could be the TEBM65, but i've already got a few builds using it, yes its slightly smaller, but very capable of getting into the 50's, i just wanted to use something else Might grab some info and run the CX's through winisd and pull out the tape measure

• djg
                djg commented
                Editing a comment
                Just trying to help with your tweeter.

• 3rutu5
                3rutu5 commented
                Editing a comment
                You did help thanks, I didn't even think about coaxials. I had a rough measurement of the ghetto blaster and think I have approximately 0.15cuft each side and you've given me bobinga post which was great

People seem to like the RS100s used full range (mostly w/OUT resorting to a "notch" filter).
              The (orig.) Al cones "rings" (breakup) up around 15k - but that CAN help w/off-axis response.
              The 4ohm is a bit smoother.
              The paper cones are smoother (in general) but have breakup near 10kHz - so PROBably sound "brighter" to old guys (like me).
              The 4ohmer should play a couple dB louder (more efficient at the same voltage).
              For "workability", I'd order them as: 100P-8 (unless the slightly louder P-4 is important to you), then the 100-4, and lastly the 100-8.

In a closed box, I think you're looking at an F3 near 110Hz (half that might be possible if vented, IF the volume is large enough and you can fit a port in there).

If you think those TBs will fit OK, I CAN work up an XO for you. I modeled the TCP115 woofer and unless you can vent it, they don't seem to reach any lower than the RS100s, about 110Hz.

Comment

People seem to like the RS100s used full range (mostly w/OUT resorting to a "notch" filter).
                The (orig.) Al cones "rings" (breakup) up around 15k - but that CAN help w/off-axis response.
                The paper cones are smoother (in general) but have breakup near 10kHz - so PROBably sound "brighter" to old guys (like me).
                For "workability", I'd order them as: 100P-8 (unless the slightly louder P-4 is important to you), then the 100-4, and lastly the 100-8.

In a closed box, I think you're looking at an F3 near 110Hz (half that might be possible if vented, IF the volume is large enough and you can fit a port in there).

If you think those TBs will fit OK, I CAN work up an XO for you. I modeled the TCP115 woofer and unless you can vent it, they don't seem to reach any lower than the RS100s, about 110Hz.
                I'm not sure If any tweeters with be suffocated with the small opening.

I'm actually intending to drill a hole for a.vent and 3d print the opening for make it look stock. I have to print a cylinder panel as well to covef up the rear vents it as already, either that or do some funky bass reflex port. I think if this is similar to my CAD sharp that I'll have 2 enclosure volumes around 0.1-0.15cuft each, but need to measure up and triple check as the walls are thinner

Comment

Im thinking those RS100-4's model ok in WiniSD, get similar results to the TEBM's in a 0.14cuft enclosure and look alright on paper. Ill have to look at the depths of the CX120's and RS100's and see if they will fit

Comment

I see an F3 around 60Hz w/the RS100P-4 (1-1/4"id equivalent port, 5" long) in 0.14 cf. That Coax won't go that low.
                    The TCP woofers LOOK to do 50Hz (in WinISD) but MY little desktop speakers also looked like they'd do 50, but in reality (on the desktop) they do a STRONG 40Hz.
                    They'd need an equivalent port that's an inch or 2 longer (than the RS100) to get there.

Comment

I see an F3 around 60Hz w/the RS100P-4 (1-1/4"id equivalent port, 5" long) in 0.14 cf. That Coax won't go that low.
                      The TCP woofers LOOK to do 50Hz (in WinISD) but MY little desktop speakers also looked like they'd do 50, but in reality (on the desktop) they do a STRONG 40Hz.
                      They'd need an equivalent port that's an inch or 2 longer (than the RS100) to get there.
                      Guess I need to make a.decision soon. I was watching a video with the RS100's and the comment was made that they are closer to a 3iinch than a 4 so not sure how true that is and If the same guy who measured the ND65 did these ones

Comment

Look at the mounting information and the SD in the specs on PE's site.
                        RS100 is 3.86" overall outside dimension and SD 35.3 cm2
                        The PS95 is a 3 1/2" diver, outside dimension 3.87" and SD 28.3 cm2.
                        The DSA115 is a 4" driver with outside dimension 4.55" and SD 54.1cm2.
                        Yes, it is pretty small for a 4" driver, I did know how small it was because someone also mentions that in a PE review, but otherwise I would have been pretty surprised. But I really like it for my application. So you have to think about...does it really matter if it is 3, 3.5, or 4" if it can meet your design goals.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                          Look at the mounting information and the SD in the specs on PE's site.
                          RS100 is 3.86" overall outside dimension and SD 35.3 cm2
                          The PS95 is a 3 1/2" diver, outside dimension 3.87" and SD 28.3 cm2.
                          The DSA115 is a 4" driver with outside dimension 4.55" and SD 54.1cm2.
                          Yes, it is pretty small for a 4" driver, I did know how small it was because someone also mentions that in a PE review, but otherwise I would have been pretty surprised. But I really like it for my application. So you have to think about...does it really matter if it is 3, 3.5, or 4" if it can meet your design goals.
                          Not at all, at the moment I just need to think what should I do.

Got a.few options,

try a TCP115 with tangband tweeter combo Cx120 coaxial
                          rs100p

Maybe some others like a TEBM65 in a slightly smaller footprint or who knows a markaudio driver, just need to do some research and modelling in CAD for some.custom housings

Comment

I was looking at the size and noticed that the range on the RS100P was around 13500hz and that there is a RS125P which appears to have a max usable range of 12000hz, would you say this more of a mid range or have adequate range to constitute a full range?

Comment

Working...
                            X