New project - Seas U16RCY/P with SB26STCN or SB21SDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project - Seas U16RCY/P with SB26STCN or SB21SDC

So I want to build a 2-way with the Seas UR16RCY/P.

They will be built into an entertainment center flanking the TV Screen.

Kind of like this (not to scale):

Click image for larger version  Name:	EC.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	1487280

I have a maximum baffle width of 7".

They will be used for music, mostly background and casual listening, and TV.

They will be in a fairly large great room and we listen off axis more often than not.

I did some work in Xsim with that woofer and both tweeters( I used the woofer data from the Zaph audio site and tweeter data is from HIFi compass) I also did not apply any baffle step as these will be basically wall mounted (not sure if this is correct or if I should have a couple db)

SB21:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SB21 sim.JPG Views:	0 Size:	246.7 KB ID:	1487276

Click image for larger version  Name:	SB21 RN.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	1487277

SB26:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SB26 sim.JPG Views:	0 Size:	245.0 KB ID:	1487278
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SB26 RN.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	1487279

Pros for the SB21 for me:

1. A little better off axis
    2. I already own a pair

Pros for the SB26 for me:

1. Appears a little easier to work with
    2. Seems people like this tweeter a lot, not many opinions on the SB21

Please let me know what you all think about tweeter choice and also any comments you may have on my sims.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

It might just be me, but I can't see any of the pics for some reason.

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• Jakes_dad
      Jakes_dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom,

I can see them on my PC, but not on my phone. Not sure what is causing that.

I uploaded my photos again, I think that fixed it.

• a4eaudio
      a4eaudio commented
      Editing a comment
      I cannot see them either.

• Jakes_dad
      Jakes_dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what is going on, I see them on my PC and phone and checked on another PC and see them there as well. I don't know how to fix it at this point.

I can see 'em on an OLD PC using Firefox (on Vista).

Comment

Did you adapt the responses to your baffles and location or use them as they were?
      If you did not, then this is all a wash and is neither a valid Sim or a good example of the upcoming build.

My thoughts, are that you should be able to go 1st order electrical on the woofer,, as the U Series is known for it. You should likely be okay with either tweeter. I would go sb26 for an easier xover, and likely better sound than the more unknown sb21, but you do have a pair already to use.

Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Jakes_dad
        Jakes_dad commented
        Editing a comment
        Wolf,

"Did you adapt the responses to your baffles and location or use them as they were?"

I modeled the baffle size and driver position in Response Modeler to incorporate diffraction and derived minimum phase. Is this what you were referring to?

• Wolf
        Wolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like you prepared well. I look forward to your progress...

I can now see the pics on my phone and pc.

If you go with the SB26 I have a brand new pair that I'm not going to use as planned.

Comment

The traced Infinite Baffle (IB) responses are probably OK if you're mounting them on the wall. I see you included some estimate for delay in the woofer, but can't tell if you created minimum phase versions of your traced files. If not, none of your files have any phase information (if you open a frequency response or impedance file in notepad you'll see the 3rd parameter in each line is 0). If that's the case, use the "derived" option in the XSim driver "Tune" window to create minimum phase versions of all your frequency response and impedance files.
        "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

• Jakes_dad
          Jakes_dad commented
          Editing a comment
          I created minimum phase versions in Response Modeler and estimated .75' delay in XSim.
      Working...
      X