Need Advice - 2.1ch setup DIY project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice - 2.1ch setup DIY project

so got my Tang Band 2inch sub and 1.5inch speaker modules the other day and started looking at my latest project. To date i've struggled to get a separate 2.1ch class D amp (parts express one) and a BT receiver module to play nice together and the no name ones from the slow boat are quite large in size. Most know i get caught up making tiny projects so for me size is the main design constraint and keeping close to the original intent. I have a decent 2x8 watt amp from Tinysine which was from my original quarentineee build (bought 2) and wondered if i would be better off getting a 2 channel board and attempting a cross over on one of the channels between the sub and speaker, or if that is considered a no no.

The 2 inch sub is fairly low powered needing 10watts (20max) and
    https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-B...woofer-264-950

4 Watts (8 max) for the T1-1828SD
    https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-B...-4-Ohm-264-935

i could look at the 4 channels from DA/Sure but to be honest spent too much already on this one and would love to avoid spending anything further really.

TBH, I'd bite the bullet and go with the 4 channel and bridge one of the outputs to make it 2x30W + 1x60W.
    I think a 30W Class D is probably borderline capable of getting every bit of performance out of that sub, and the DSP will really help you get the most out of the setup.
    Whatever way you go, you really want a high pass on those satellites to maximize to power handling. Done right, that could be a pretty sweet little setup.

I made a satellite with one of the slightly larger Tang Band cylindrical modules:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4604364

Comment

Originally posted by zx82net View Post
      TBH, I'd bite the bullet and go with the 4 channel and bridge one of the outputs to make it 2x30W + 1x60W.
      I think a 30W Class D is probably borderline capable of getting every bit of performance out of that sub, and the DSP will really help you get the most out of the setup.
      Whatever way you go, you really want a high pass on those satellites to maximize to power handling. Done right, that could be a pretty sweet little setup.

I made a satellite with one of the slightly larger Tang Band cylindrical modules:
      https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4604364
      i thought i saw them before, problem i have with the internet and me designing is i have an information overload and then forget where i saw things.

I will need a hand i reckon with the high pass, so far i have a little 2.1ch BT amp from the slow boat and its 2x15, 1x30w, has a separate sub volume knob as well. My issue is trying to design another one of those mini ghettoblasters (national\panasonic this time), fit all this stuff in and get a port. I'm feeling that there needs to be a compromise, i just dont know where yet.

new amp can go as low as 8-9volts, which means i could go a 2s setup and boost to the required voltage, downside is battery life i guess and if its enough for this little sub\sat combo. If i went the 4 channel, i would really need a LBB 3s setup, but could use the on board DSP, but may struggle for space to fit them both in. Wish my little monster was working then i could just print something bigger.

Comment

I'm waiting for my Bambu labs Carbon to show up, that should cut build times significantly :-D

FWIW, I find designing to print in sections has benefits for print yield and using colors for effect.

I'm really enjoying listening to these things at the moment, they're silly but I love 'em:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1829.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	1489053

Comment

I'm waiting for my Bambu labs Carbon to show up, that should cut build times significantly :-D

FWIW, I find designing to print in sections has benefits for print yield and using colors for effect.

I'm really enjoying listening to these things at the moment, they're silly but I love 'em:

oh yeah that machine looks interesting, the multiple materials is definately a cool touch. I could probably use my ender 3, but i find the quality and time taken is just not there again my deltas.

Comment

That shape looks like the Linkwitz speakers. Personally I dont like the looks of the corners, is there a specific reason for that shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Unbiasedsound View Post

That shape looks like the Linkwitz speakers. Personally I dont like the looks of the corners, is there a specific reason for that shape?
              Yes, the shape is copied from the LX521, and there is a reason for it. If you dig through Linkwitz's website, you'll find a huge amount of material, Linkwitz said his baffle designs were largely created by trial and error. A lot of what Linkwitz was optimizing for in baffle shape was actually the correct-ability of the frequency response using the kind of analog active crossovers he was designing for them. The baffle shape is not some kind of snake oil magic, it directly relates to uniformity of response after correction.

That said, I'm just hammering the response flat with a DSP, so there is no strong reason to stick with Linkwitz's profiles.

Comment

• LOUT
                LOUT commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd guess/bet the on-VS-off-axis sound might still benefit from less consistent baffle distance/angles where possible...though I'm not sure if the left/right symmetry of that shape makes that particular design similar or still better for diffraction compared to a plain, square/rectangle design of similar dimensions.
                I'd think it still has to help at least a little, like a 1/2" roundover on baffle edges does.?
                ..In addition to Linkwitz's FR correction (I'm guessing mostly on-axis?) for the original drivers, like you already mentioned.

Originally posted by LOUT View Post

I'd guess/bet the on-VS-off-axis sound might still benefit from less consistent baffle distance/angles where possible...though I'm not sure if the left/right symmetry of that shape makes that particular design similar or still better for diffraction compared to a plain, square/rectangle design of similar dimensions.
              I'd think it still has to help at least a little, like a 1/2" roundover on baffle edges does.?
              ..In addition to Linkwitz's FR correction (I'm guessing mostly on-axis?) for the original drivers, like you already mentioned.
              I think the only baffle shape which is true consistent WRT diffraction is a circle centered on the driver. Any deviation from that, including straight edges, vary the distance between the driver and each point of the perimeter, smoothing the diffraction response peaks. Somewhere, I saw something from Linkwitz talking about the benefit of long edges with a certain angle between them, but I cannot find that section at the moment.

The only thing I would be reasonably confident of is that Linkwitz tried rounding the corners, and decided it had no significant positive impact on performance in his deign. :-D

A couple of interesting sections from his website, screenshots attached for simplicity:
              https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm
              https://www.linkwitzlab.com/models.htm#D

Sorry, 3rutu5, we seem to have hijacked your thread
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X